Welcome to our new Citrix community!

VDA agent upgrade fails.

Daniel Björk

Question

Hi guys

I try to upgrade the vda agent on my win 2012 masterimage but it does not work.

The upgrade is from ver 7.6.0.5026 to 7.6.300.

Is there anyone else who has encountered this problem?

Error Id: XDMI:619E0143

Exception:
    System.NullReferenceException Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at Citrix.MetaInstaller.UI.Pages.Common.ViewModels.ComponentPageViewModel..ctor(MainWindowViewModel mainWindowViewModel, BaseDataModel dataModel)
       at Citrix.MetaInstaller.UI.Pages.Vda.ViewModels.VdaMainWindowViewModel.CreatePages()
       at Citrix.MetaInstaller.WizardFramework.MainWindowViewModel.Initialize()
       at Citrix.MetaInstaller.UI.Pages.Vda.ViewModels.VdaMainWindowViewModel.Initialize()
       at Citrix.MetaInstaller.MetaInstallerWpfApplication.OnStartup(StartupEventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Application.<.ctor>b__1(Object unused)
       at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
       at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
       at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
       at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()
       at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()
       at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
       at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
       at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
       at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
       at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
       at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
       at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
       at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(MSG& msg)
       at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(DispatcherFrame frame)
       at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(Window window)
       at System.Windows.Application.Run()
       at Citrix.MetaInstaller.MetaInstallerApplication.Run(String[] args)
       at Citrix.MetaInstaller.MetaInstallerApplication.InstallResultMain(String[] args)

20 answers to this question

Where can i find the logs your are looking for?

Got this problem with 2008 r2. I have 8 Citrix servers spread over 4 delivery groups. All 2008 r2. I could update 3 out of 4 delivery groups containing only 1 server. The other 5 servers gave me the error above. Also they are upgraded from version 7.5. I created a new non-upgraded delviery group and put 1 machine into who gave the problems, but didnt seem to help.

I hope this helps others since I still find nothing from Citrix on the issue.

I get this error exact error message and found the root cause to the path defined for Windows folder redirection of the "AppData(Roaming)" folder. I have fund this to be an issue in every version since 7.6 and have reported it to Citrix since  but have yet to see a true solution in the installer. Using a local account is a workaround since roaming profiles\folder redirection are not applied to local user accounts IT IS NOT A SOLUTION! This should be properly addressed by Citrix within the VDA installer code as from my testing with other applications this issues affects only the Citrix VDA.

Microsoft allows the folder to be redirected to anywhere via the GOP however the Citrix VDA appears to requires specific values to be present in the path to function. I found that if the path does end in \Roaming then upgrades, removal, reconfiguration via CLI will fail and if you use the GUI it hangs or never appears. Ending the path in \Roaming corrects part of the issue. The error in this thread if you do not have the user name in the path. In my case I'm redirecting to a Home Drive also defined via GPO for each user but you can do your own tests to see what works for you.

Settings for AppData(Roaming) GPO
    - Basic (Redirect everyone's folder to the same location)

Using the following result in failure and/or the error:
\\Server\Share\AppData

DriveLetter:\AppData

\\Server\Share\AppData\Roaming

DriveLetter:\AppData\Roaming

Using the following resolves both the failure & error:

\\Server\Share\%UserName%\AppData\Romaing

DriveLetter:\%UserName%\AppData\Roaming

• Like 1

Came across the same issue when upgrading to VDA 7.11, its definitely a Folder Redirection issue with AppData.

As a workaround a created an OU in AD for Master\Gold Images with no Folder Redirection GPO policies applied.  I can now upgrade Master images VDA's using my domain admin account.