Welcome to our new Citrix community!

XenApp 7.6 - Can't login into Studio anymore

Carsten Singh-Dev

Question

Hi,

We have a XA 7.6 environment. I updated from 7.5 to 7.6. In the environment there are two servers (sf-ctrl01 + sf-ctrl02) that have StoreFront + Delivery Controller installed that build a server group. Database and Licensing is on another server (db-lic01). The database is SQL 2012 Express. 

The problem is that I can't login into Studio anymore (on both machines; sf-ctrl01 & sf-ctrl02): 

Error Id: XDDS:F393C75A

Exception:
    Citrix.Console.DeliveryCenter.UI.Dialogs.CcsFailedException You do not have sufficient permissions to administer this Site using Studio.
       at Citrix.Console.DeliveryCenter.UI.ViewModel.DesktopStudioViewModel.ConnectToSite(String ccsLocation, Boolean safeForDispatcher, IProgressReporter progressReporter)
       at Citrix.Console.MmcSnapin.SnapInClass.OnLoadCustomSnapinData(AsyncStatus status, Byte[] persistenceData)

Inner Exception:
    Citrix.Console.Models.Exceptions.PermissionDeniedException You are not authorized to perform this operation.
       at Citrix.Console.PowerShellInteraction.CmdletExecutionMethods.CreateException[T](ICommonLog logger, ExecutionResults`1 results, ICmdletExecutionHost host)
       at Citrix.Console.PowerShellInteraction.CmdletExecutionMethods.Execute[T](ISdkCmdlet`1 sdkCmd, ICmdletExecutionHost host, Boolean allowFailover)
       at Citrix.Console.PowerShellSdk.HealthMonitor.Scripts.ValidateConfigurationServiceLocationScript.RunScript()
       at Citrix.Console.PowerShellInteraction.PowerShellScript`1.Run()
       at Citrix.Console.PowerShellSdk.PowerShellService.ValidateCentralConfigurationServiceLocation(String ccsLocation)
       at Citrix.Console.DeliveryCenter.UI.Dialogs.CcsValidator.ValidateCcsInternal(String ccsLocation)
       at Citrix.Console.DeliveryCenter.UI.Dialogs.CcsValidator.ValidateCcs(String ccsLocation)
       at Citrix.Console.DeliveryCenter.UI.ViewModel.DesktopStudioViewModel.ConnectToSite(String ccsLocation, Boolean safeForDispatcher, IProgressReporter progressReporter)

DesktopStudio_ErrorId : AuthorizationError
    Exception : Citrix.Fma.Sdk.ServiceCore.AuthorizationFailureException: Failed to authorize operation GetServiceStatus. CheckGlobalAccess failed.
       at Citrix.Configuration.DelegatedAdminProvider.DemandPermission(String operation)
       at Citrix.Fma.Sdk.ServiceCore.LogicBase.DemandPermission(String operation, ServiceRegistrationStates localAdminStates)
       at Citrix.Fma.Sdk.ServiceCore.ServiceBase.<>c__DisplayClass10.<GetServiceStatus>b__f()
       at Citrix.Fma.Sdk.ServiceCore.ServiceBase.CheckedCall[T](String name, Func`1 operation, Func`2 defaultValue, Enum code)
    Reason : AuthorizationFailureException
    Message : Failed to authorize operation GetServiceStatus. CheckGlobalAccess failed.
    Sdk Error Message : There was a problem communicating with the Citrix Delegated Administration Service.
    Sdk Error ID : Citrix.XDPowerShell.Status.AuthorizationError,Citrix.Configuration.Sdk.Cmdlets.Management.Commands.GetConfigServiceStatusCommand
    ErrorCategory : PermissionDenied
    DesktopStudio_PowerShellHistory : ValidateConfigurationServiceLocationScript
    18.08.2015 11:19:08

Get-ConfigServiceStatus  -AdminAddress "localhost"
    Get-ConfigServiceStatus : There was a problem communicating with the Citrix Delegated Administration Service.
    + CategoryInfo : PermissionDenied: (:) [Get-ConfigServiceStatus], UnauthorizedAccessException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Citrix.XDPowerShell.Status.AuthorizationError,Citrix.Configuration.Sdk.Cmdlets.Management.Commands.GetConfigServiceStatusCommand

Inner Exception:
    System.UnauthorizedAccessException There was a problem communicating with the Citrix Delegated Administration Service.
       at System.Management.Automation.MshCommandRuntime.ThrowTerminatingError(ErrorRecord errorRecord)

---------------------------

On the other hand, StoreFront is running fine and can even propagate changes. Therefore I am concluding that the server see each other and that they can login into the database. 
The farm is also working fine in general. Everything else works as expected. 

I checked other threads on this issue and saw that they used Scout. I did not use Scout. I think I did nothing, besides upgrading. I am not sure if Studio worked after the upgrade, since I only needed to some StoreFront changes I think (which worked fine). 

Has anybody an idea?

• Like 1

19 answers to this question

I did as you said and got an error:

Get-AdminDbConnection : There was a problem communicating with the Citrix Delegated Administration Service.
At line:1 char:1
+ Get-AdminDbConnection
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : PermissionDenied: (:) [Get-AdminDBConnection], UnauthorizedAccessException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Citrix.XDPowerShell.Status.AuthorizationError,Citrix.DelegatedAdmin.Sdk.Cmdlets.DataStor
   e.Commands.GetAdminDBConnectionCommand

Also check the registry for the DB connection strings: For example - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Citrix\XDservices\DAS\DataStore\Connections

There is an entry with the name "ConnectionString" that contains:

Server=lic-db01\SQLEXPRESS;Initial Catalog=<DATABASENAME>;Integrated Security=True

The specified server is reachable with telnet on 1433. 

I can also login with the Citrix Admin user into the SQL Management Studio on the database server. I can also connect to the database with the admin user with an .UDL file from the DDCs. 

I tried setting up a third DDC and putting it into the farm, but without success. Same error as in the first post.

I also tried running a trace with Scout, but Scout can also not connect to the farm. The solution that the KB article (suggested by Scout) gave was to check connection to the database and restart the DDC... well, that's what I did. 

Has somebody an idea? 

Regards

i had the same problem. i finally found a citrix article: http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX201779

the article is not very completely. but showed me the right direction.

you can test all SIDs in the Table DAS.Administrators with the provided commands in the article.

one of the sid in my case was not resolved by the commands. i deleted the stale sid manually from the Table und Studio began to work again without any restart.

• Like 1

I have found the token size entries in config file 7.6, still getting blow error, any suggestion please:

Error Id: XDDS:AF4EE39C

Exception:
    Citrix.Console.Models.Exceptions.PermissionDeniedException You are not authorized to perform this operation.
       at Citrix.Console.PowerShellInteraction.CmdletExecutionMethods.CreateException[T](ICommonLog logger, ExecutionResults`1 results, ICmdletExecutionHost host)
       at Citrix.Console.PowerShellInteraction.CmdletExecutionMethods.Execute[T](ISdkCmdlet`1 sdkCmd, ICmdletExecutionHost host, Boolean allowFailover)
       at Citrix.Console.PowerShellInteraction.SdkServiceBase.SetDatabaseConnection(ICmdletExecutionHost cmdletExecutionHost, String instanceAddress, DataStore dataStore, String databaseConnection, Boolean force)
       at Citrix.Console.PowerShellSdk.UpgradeService.UpgradeTasks.ServiceConfigurationTask.AttachServiceDatastoresToDatabaseServer(ServiceEndpointAnalysis servicesWithUnregisteredServiceInstance, ICmdletExecutionHost host, String databaseConnection)
       at Citrix.Console.PowerShellSdk.UpgradeService.UpgradeTasks.ServiceConfigurationTask.<>c__DisplayClass21.<RunUpgradeTask>b__19(ICmdletExecutionHost host)
       at Citrix.Console.PowerShellInteraction.SimplePowerShellScript.<>c__DisplayClass4.<Run>b__3(ICmdletExecutionHost host)
       at Citrix.Console.PowerShellInteraction.SimplePowerShellScript.RunScript()
       at Citrix.Console.PowerShellInteraction.SimplePowerShellScript.Run(IUnityContainer container, Action`1 action)
       at Citrix.Console.PowerShellSdk.UpgradeService.UpgradeTasks.ServiceConfigurationTask.RunUpgradeTask(IProgressReporter progressReporter, ITaskLogger taskLogger)
       at Citrix.Console.PowerShellSdk.UpgradeService.UpgradeTasks.UpgradeTaskBase.RunUpgrade(IProgressReporter progressReporter, ITaskLogger taskLogger)
       at Citrix.Console.PowerShellSdk.UpgradeService.UpgradeTasks.UpgradeTaskBase.RunUpgrade(IProgressReporter progressReporter, ITaskLogger taskLogger)
       at Citrix.Console.PowerShellSdk.UpgradeService.UpgradeTasks.Upgrade.RunUpgradeTask(IProgressReporter progressReporter, ITaskLogger taskLogger)
       at Citrix.Console.DeliveryCenter.UI.Mmc.UpgradeResultPaneViewModel.UpgradeTask(IProgressReporter progressReporter, UserCredentials databaseCredentials)
       at Citrix.Console.CommonControls.ProgressDisplay.GenericProgressOperationWithFeedBack.PerformOperationInternal()
       at Citrix.Console.CommonControls.ProgressDisplay.ProgressWindowOperation.PerformOperation()
       at Citrix.Console.CommonControls.ProgressDisplay.ProgressWindowViewModel.PerformAction(Action operationComplete)

Exception : Citrix.Fma.Sdk.ServiceCore.AuthorizationFailureException: Failed to authorize operation SetDBConnection. Inter-service manager not initialized. ---> Citrix.Fma.Sdk.InterServiceManager.InitializationException: The inter service manager must first be initialized
       at Citrix.Fma.Sdk.InterServiceManager.WcfClientBase`1.VerifyMachineIsRegistered()
       at Citrix.Fma.Sdk.InterServiceManager.WcfClientBase`1.CallAndRetry[TResult](Func`2 operation)
       at Citrix.Monitor.DelegatedAdminProvider.DemandPermission(String operation)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at Citrix.Fma.Sdk.ServiceCore.LogicBase.DemandPermission(String operation, ServiceRegistrationStates localAdminStates)
       at Citrix.Fma.Sdk.ServiceCore.LogicBase.SetDBConnection(String connectionString, String dataStore, Boolean force, Nullable`1 loggingId, ServiceStatus& status, Dictionary`2& errorData)
       at Citrix.Fma.Sdk.ServiceCore.ServiceBase.<>c__DisplayClass4d.<SetDBConnection>b__47()
       at Citrix.Fma.Sdk.ServiceCore.ServiceBase.CheckedCall[T](String name, Func`1 operation, Func`2 defaultValue, Enum code)
    Message : Failed to authorize operation SetDBConnection. Inter-service manager not initialized.
    Sdk Error Message : There was a problem communicating with the Citrix Delegated Administration Service.
    Sdk Error ID : Citrix.XDPowerShell.Status.AuthorizationError,Citrix.Monitor.Sdk.Commands.SetMonitorDBConnectionCommand
    DesktopStudio_PowerShellHistory : SimplePowerShellScript
    25/09/15 11:50:49 AM

Get-ConfigDBConnection  -AdminAddress "localhost"
    Set-MonitorDBConnection  -AdminAddress "" -DataStore "Site" -DBConnection "Server=;Initial Catalog = ; Integrated Security = True" -Force
    Set-MonitorDBConnection : There was a problem communicating with the Citrix Delegated Administration Service.
     + CategoryInfo : PermissionDenied: (:) [set-MonitorDBConnection], UnauthorizedAccessException
     + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Citrix.XDPowerShell.Status.AuthorizationError,Citrix.Monitor.Sdk.Commands.SetMonitorDBConnectionCommand

Inner Exception:
    System.UnauthorizedAccessException There was a problem communicating with the Citrix Delegated Administration Service.
       at System.Management.Automation.MshCommandRuntime.ThrowTerminatingError(ErrorRecord errorRecord)

I have found the token size entries in config file 7.6, still getting blow error, any suggestion please:

Error Id: XDDS:AF4EE39C

Exception:

at Citrix.Console.PowerShellInteraction.SdkServiceBase.SetDatabaseConnection(ICmdletExecutionHost cmdletExecutionHost, String instanceAddress, DataStore dataStore, String databaseConnection, Boolean force)

at Citrix.Console.PowerShellSdk.UpgradeService.UpgradeTasks.ServiceConfigurationTask.AttachServiceDatastoresToDatabaseServer(ServiceEndpointAnalysis servicesWithUnregisteredServiceInstance, ICmdletExecutionHost host, String databaseConnection)

at Citrix.Console.PowerShellSdk.UpgradeService.UpgradeTasks.ServiceConfigurationTask.<>c__DisplayClass21.<RunUpgradeTask>b__19(ICmdletExecutionHost host)

at Citrix.Console.PowerShellInteraction.SimplePowerShellScript.<>c__DisplayClass4.<Run>b__3(ICmdletExecutionHost host)

at Citrix.Console.PowerShellInteraction.SimplePowerShellScript.RunScript()

at Citrix.Console.PowerShellInteraction.SimplePowerShellScript.Run(IUnityContainer container, Action`1 action)

at Citrix.Console.PowerShellSdk.UpgradeService.UpgradeTasks.ServiceConfigurationTask.RunUpgradeTask(IProgressReporter progressReporter, ITaskLogger taskLogger)

at Citrix.Console.PowerShellSdk.UpgradeService.UpgradeTasks.Upgrade.RunUpgradeTask(IProgressReporter progressReporter, ITaskLogger taskLogger)

at Citrix.Console.DeliveryCenter.UI.Mmc.UpgradeResultPaneViewModel.UpgradeTask(IProgressReporter progressReporter, UserCredentials databaseCredentials)

at Citrix.Console.CommonControls.ProgressDisplay.GenericProgressOperationWithFeedBack.PerformOperationInternal()

at Citrix.Console.CommonControls.ProgressDisplay.ProgressWindowOperation.PerformOperation()

at Citrix.Console.CommonControls.ProgressDisplay.ProgressWindowViewModel.PerformAction(Action operationComplete)

Exception : Citrix.Fma.Sdk.ServiceCore.AuthorizationFailureException: Failed to authorize operation SetDBConnection. Inter-service manager not initialized. ---> Citrix.Fma.Sdk.InterServiceManager.InitializationException: The inter service manager must first be initialized

at Citrix.Fma.Sdk.InterServiceManager.WcfClientBase`1.VerifyMachineIsRegistered()

at Citrix.Fma.Sdk.InterServiceManager.WcfClientBase`1.CallAndRetry[TResult](Func`2 operation)

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at Citrix.Fma.Sdk.ServiceCore.LogicBase.SetDBConnection(String connectionString, String dataStore, Boolean force, Nullable`1 loggingId, ServiceStatus& status, Dictionary`2& errorData)

at Citrix.Fma.Sdk.ServiceCore.ServiceBase.<>c__DisplayClass4d.<SetDBConnection>b__47()

Message : Failed to authorize operation SetDBConnection. Inter-service manager not initialized.

Sdk Error ID : Citrix.XDPowerShell.Status.AuthorizationError,Citrix.Monitor.Sdk.Commands.SetMonitorDBConnectionCommand

DesktopStudio_PowerShellHistory : SimplePowerShellScript

25/09/15 11:50:49 AM

Get-ConfigDBConnection  -AdminAddress "localhost"

Set-MonitorDBConnection  -AdminAddress "" -DataStore "Site" -DBConnection "Server=;Initial Catalog = ; Integrated Security = True" -Force

Set-MonitorDBConnection : There was a problem communicating with the Citrix Delegated Administration Service.

+ CategoryInfo : PermissionDenied: ( :) [set-MonitorDBConnection], UnauthorizedAccessException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Citrix.XDPowerShell.Status.AuthorizationError,Citrix.Monitor.Sdk.Commands.SetMonitorDBConnectionCommand

Inner Exception:

We just resolved our issue, similar error to what you have. It ended up being a SQL issue. When we checked the SQL logs we found almost 50 messages stating:

AUTOGROW of file 'SITEDB_LOG' in database 'SITEDB' was canceled by user or timed out after XXXXX milliseconds. Use ALTER DATABASE to set a smaller FILEGROWTH value for this file or to explicitly set a new file size.

We set the file growth on the log file to 1MB, rebooted the 2 controllers and everything came up fine. Not sure if this might help for you or others.

• Like 1

i had the same problem. i finally found a citrix article: http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX201779

the article is not very completely. but showed me the right direction.

you can test all SIDs in the Table DAS.Administrators with the provided commands in the article.

one of the sid in my case was not resolved by the commands. i deleted the stale sid manually from the Table und Studio began to work again without any restart.

Everything advised has been checked and found okay. Now I am only left with following what's written in http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX201779 but this link seems to be restricted to certain users. Anyone got the alternative?

Everything advised has been checked and found okay. Now I am only left with following what's written in http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX201779 but this link seems to be restricted to certain users. Anyone got the alternative?

Found the content of that article on Linked -somebody had copy pasted. In my case all the SIDs were resolved so that article is out too.

Finally got it fixed by creating the scope in DAS.Rights table.

In my situation, I had just finished building a brand new XenApp/XenDesktop 7.6 installation, but had not yet added any additional administrators to the site.    Then someone deleted my active directory user account.   My account was then recreated, but of course, it then had a different SID.   Launching Studio with the new account/SID would produce this error in Studio:

Error Id: XDDS:F393C75A

Studio then fails to work properly.

The fix (with thanks to those who have posted on this above), is to change the admin account SID information in your site/farm database.    

Start by finding the SID of the account you need to give access to.   You can run this command on any domain-joined server.  Replace "USER" with the account name you need to give access to.

wmic useraccount where name="USER" get sid

Sample output from above command:

S-1-5-21-378302919-25780524-620655208-9821

Next steps:

1)  Log into the SQL server where your database is stored with an account that has rights to your XenDesktop farm database.

2)  Open SQL Server Management Studio

3)  Click on Databases -> click on your database name -> click Tables

4)  Scroll down to the DAS.Administrators table, right click, -> Edit Top 200 Rows

5)  In the row edit window,  replace the old SID with the new SID of the account you want to give admin rights to.

6)  Close the edit window, and then reboot your XenApp/XenDesktop delivery controllers.

7)  Sign into your delivery controller with the new account, fire up Studio, and you should be good to go.

On 18.8.2015 at 4:32 PM, Carl Stalhood1709151912 said:

Also check the registry for the DB connection strings: For example - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Citrix\XDservices\DAS\DataStore\Connections

Thanks Carl. That solved my issue! After the update of my second DDC failed, I was not abled to login to the Studio anymore. On both DDCs.

When I stopped the delegated admin service and the broker service on the failed DDC, I could start the Studio on the first updated DDC.

So I searched the regkey on DDC 2 and found out, it was empty. After i set and started the Services, everything was fine.

Edit: I upgraded from 7.9 to 7.14.1