Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Session hung at logoff on Windows Server 2012 R2

Benjamin Oumlsterle

Question

Hello,

im using XenApp 7.6 on Windows Server 2012 R2 (Published Desktops).

When the user logs of the session is stuck and it looks like the screenshot in the attachments.

The following processes are running:

csrss.exe

dwm.exe

LogonUI.exe

winlogon.exe

i am not able to sign of the session.

In this moment the user is not able to login on another server.

When i kill winlogon.exe the session closes, but the user is still not able to login.

When i restart the server the problem is temporary solved..

On the DDC i got this error in event viewer:

Error ID 12346, No available ressource found for user

Any idea on this issue?

• Like 2
  • Answers 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

We are also experiencing the same issue with about 3 servers a day not logging user sessions off, and then accumulation of disconnected sessions that exceed the one hour disconnect timer.  We've found that restarting the Citrix Group Policy service will sometimes release what seems to be a domino effect of session hangs.  Once we kill Winlogon in the lowest Session ID and restart GPSvc, the rest of the sessions log off and the server may return to normal behavior.  Citrix examined 3 dumps for us that were inconclusive and now we have a case open with MS.

• Like 1

Am having the same problem. XA 7.6 with PVS 7.6. Both on Win Server 2012 R2. Latest Windows updates installed.

Users are unable to connect to Citrix.

In Director: Several users show multiple sessions in "Disconnected", "Active", and/or "Connected" states (for the same user). I am unable to Disconnect or Logoff their sessions either.

I get the same 4 processes (as Benjamin/Original poster) showing in Disconnected state with a "(4)" as the user.

Server reboot is the only way for me to resolve the issue too, but doing so in full production hours (and kicking everyone else offline) is not an ideal solution.

This has happened 3x in our environment.

post-10595023-0-29349800-1448301514_thumb.png

• Like 2

Found this:

http://blogs.serioustek.net/post/2014/08/06/xenapp-7-1-7-5-disconnected-sessions-not-logging-off-aspx

http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX139726

Instead of modifying the Registry and running the patches, I may plan to update to XA/PVS 7.6 FP3 instead, installing the latest VDA. However, I'll open up a case with Citrix first.

EDIT: case has been opened, and CDFTrace has been collected for the server the user is able to log in to, and for the server she cannot use. For each attempt to connect to the non-working server, a new "Connected" session is left running (after Receiver popped up and quickly disappeared). Waiting on Citrix now to analyze the logs.

• Like 3

Case with Citrix is still on-going. They are having me collect more logs without rebooting the servers. Several users are affected by this issue, and it pains me not to be able to reboot the servers (which would clear any logs Citrix could gather).

The symptom that is most alarming is that those stuck sessions prevent users from logging on to those servers. They can log on to other servers -- just not the ones where they have a stuck session with.

We seem to be having the exact same problem, but only on one of our VDAs. Citrix told us to install this after reviewing a memory dump: http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX141880 but it didn't help at all.

Benjamin or Mike- Were you able to reach a solution? Your feedback is appreciated.

We upgraded to 7.6 FP3, but the issue returned. Sending an email to the escalation engineer resulted in no response for the last 2 weeks. I will be sending another follow-up and involve our account manager as necessary.

We have plans to upgrade to 7.7 sometime in February.

Hi 

We are seeing the same issues in our environment Windows 2012R2, XenDesktop 7.6

Have been doing some test and sometimes got things to start working after killing UPM and Windows profile manager. A co-worker sent me this link

Will do some testing with password changes and then try to disable cred manager

We are not runing Symantec 

//Björn

We are having the same issue. XenApp 7.6 . The Users can't reconnect and only solution is reboot of server. When it happens Endpoint name and Receiver version goes to n/a. I can't force a logoff or disconnect of user. Hope Citrix find a solution to this. We are having an old RDP server as backup for XenApp because of this.  :(

Here's the latest update from the Citrix escalation engineer... I had to suspend the VM and send him a copy of the suspended VMware .vmss file. He analyzed it and, paraphrasing:

"I've been stepping through the latest system dump and ran into a roadblock. Because the sessions were present for 25 days, the data has been paged out and the callstacks were no longer present in memory. This makes it impossible for me to follow the ALPC wait chains."

He's proposing that the moment we detect another stuck session, to go ahead and suspend the VM again that evening and send the .vmss file for analysis. This will be hard to detect... I suppose I'll have to check Director every day to see if a stuck session is there.

I've upgraded to XD 7.7 yesterday. It's a waiting game now.

If I remember right, the issue has something to do with "ALPC wait chains".

We ended up reinstalling the problem VDA and everything is back to normal. We kept being told it was a Microsoft problem after Citrix engineers analyzed our mem dump files, not once, but several times. I'm not sure if I buy it, but maybe, just maybe, there was a corruption during a Windows Update. Anyway, so far so good on the reinstall. Will report here if the issue returns.

Here's the latest update from the Citrix escalation engineer... I had to suspend the VM and send him a copy of the suspended VMware .vmss file. He analyzed it and, paraphrasing:

"I've been stepping through the latest system dump and ran into a roadblock. Because the sessions were present for 25 days, the data has been paged out and the callstacks were no longer present in memory. This makes it impossible for me to follow the ALPC wait chains."

He's proposing that the moment we detect another stuck session, to go ahead and suspend the VM again that evening and send the .vmss file for analysis. This will be hard to detect... I suppose I'll have to check Director every day to see if a stuck session is there.

I've upgraded to XD 7.7 yesterday. It's a waiting game now.

If I remember right, the issue has something to do with "ALPC wait chains".

Did you ever get anything back from Citrix.  We have a brand new environment and are starting to see the same thing.

Thanks

-guy

We've been on XenDesktop 7.7 since the last maintenance window (about a month ago), and so far, no stuck sessions. Until we get another stuck session, we can't really proceed with Citrix escalation. I'm going to prevent our Citrix servers from rebooting this Friday during our monthly maintenance and see how it holds up for another month without reboot.

The only "fix" we have performed so far is to simply upgrade the entire infrastructure to 7.7, with exception of the PVS Servers themselves (they are still on 7.6).

Steps I took was to uninstall VDA 7.6, then install 7.7 onto the XA/Server OS servers. Upgraded Director, Studio to 7.7. Upgraded License Server to the latest recently. Upgraded to StoreFront 3. Clients in our environment got upgraded to Receiver for Windows 4.3.

PVS will be upgraded to 7.7 eventually too, then the vDisks to 7.7. It's the only infrastructure item that's still on the older version.

Netscaler VPX is still on v10, I think.

• Like 1

We've been on XenDesktop 7.7 since the last maintenance window (about a month ago), and so far, no stuck sessions. Until we get another stuck session, we can't really proceed with Citrix escalation. I'm going to prevent our Citrix servers from rebooting this Friday during our monthly maintenance and see how it holds up for another month without reboot.

The only "fix" we have performed so far is to simply upgrade the entire infrastructure to 7.7, with exception of the PVS Servers themselves (they are still on 7.6).

Steps I took was to uninstall VDA 7.6, then install 7.7 onto the XA/Server OS servers. Upgraded Director, Studio to 7.7. Upgraded License Server to the latest recently. Upgraded to StoreFront 3. Clients in our environment got upgraded to Receiver for Windows 4.3.

PVS will be upgraded to 7.7 eventually too, then the vDisks to 7.7. It's the only infrastructure item that's still on the older version.

Netscaler VPX is still on v10, I think.

Thank you.  After talking to a Citrix tech we need to apply a couple of hotfixes and wait before doing anything else.

We tend to see this happen after something on the server has a long high cpu usage.