Welcome to our new Citrix community!

[CLIENT CONNECTION FAILURES] - Connection Timeout

Eric Lebel

Question

Hello,

We are using published desktops on XenApp 7.6.

Our clients are using IE10 to connect to https://bureauvirtuel.domain.com which is load balanced by a NetScaler 10.0 build 72.5.nc to two StoreFront servers.

Regularly, in Citrix Director Console, we see this error: "Client Connection Failures/Connection Timeout".

I did not find on any server's event viewer (XenApp, Desktop Delivery Controller and StoreFront) an entry for the client in error.

What could possibly be the problem ? A timeout value somewhere ?

If the client in error try to reconnect after a few minutes all is working perfectly.

Regards,

Etienne

25 answers to this question

Hello,

i suppose this is a popup block problem.

On the client, control that the Netscaler Site is in trusted site and the level of the security.

I suppose the site is not in trusted site and the user have a popup for executing ica file and he didn't agree in short time.

Hope this is help.

Bernard.

Hello Bernard,

It's not a popup problem with the browser. The domain name of the NetScaler is already trusted.

Do you think that it could be an overload of the Desktop Delivery Controller which cannot reply in time ?

Thank you for your help it's really appreciated.

Regards,

Etienne

I have the same issue in my actual customer.

when append can you control that is a session open for the user on the citrix serveur ?

If you have a user session, and you have in the system event viewer an PICADM error at the time of the error you hthe same problem we have.

in this topic :

http://discussions.citrix.com/topic/361166-xenapp-76-connectivity-issues/

We have no solution for now.

7.12 and having the same issue,   We have bout 600 users site    and everytime there is around 10-20 CLIENT CONNECTION FAILURES] - Connection Timeout   . 

We actually had much more   and help disk will have to reboot users virtual desktop ,  but after we implemented WEM with CPU Optimization its less now but still present but helpdesk no longer have to reboot users desktop.

I observed this from Day 1 and I think I got lucky with figuring it out because I logon to the same Citrix Desktops which I admin like all the time and I had the chance to experiment & observe. First NOTE, this alert can be ignored. It's not at all an issue as far as the last 10 months of solo managing 300 users & 70 Apps suggest.

The reason behind this getting generated I found is because of STA Expiry. Imagine an end user who clicked on an App or Desktop, the next thing that happens is that the ICA gets downloaded. For my environment we have STA expiry set to 90 secs (not sure if we can set it as anything else or not) and if the user clicks the ICA 90 secs after the ICA was downloaded, this error will come. There's another potential scenario : If the connection of the end user is blocked by Proxy. Not sure on this one.

PS. Just not a Citrix expert; I am kind of the interim guy because I had some exposure previously (Profile Reset, UAM, LB, Logoff, Block RDP & Receiver/Proxy errors) and they cannot find 

Getting the same here, as well in XenApp 7.15 LTSR. No events on ANY server.

But not all users are experiencing this. Only about 10% and in every browser: IE, Chrome, Safari. With one exception....Edge. Edge seems to work for the Windows users. Hope this narrows it down a bit.

** Found Solution**

Clear ALL Browser cache

Login to Citrix

Allow detection of receiver

Click on "Already Installed" link

Launch desktop

Edited by mquicho162
Found solution

This still happens even in 7.15...  Everything posted in here either doesn't work or is simply an end user work-around.  Citrix has yet to provide a solution to this issue which has been here from the beginning of 7.x.  It is a frustrating and annoying issue especially for those who limit instances of an app because that amplifies the issue for the end user and the helpdesk.  When this happens and instances are limited the user cannot log on until you reset the Citrix Desktop Service on the app server they brokered on.  Has anyone had any success getting this resolved?

So I think this might help some of you guys if you haven't seen these already, they're 2 different reg keys that affect connection timeout times.

https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX203760

https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX138404

my issue is that I've already gone down these paths.  I haven't yet tested with CU3 so that might solve some of it. I get the connection timeouts and machine connection refused errors sprinkled randomly through out the day. Doesn't matter the endpoint, thin client, fat client, ie, chrome, internal external, there isn't really a rhyme or reason to it, happens across all delivery groups and machine catalogs as well. I'll keep chasing it and post back if I find something.

• Like 1

Having exactly the same problem - random Connection Timeouts for users when connecting irregardless of Receiver client in use. 

Citrix asking for CDF traces but this maxes out the RAM cache drive on the VDA and results in a VDA hang. 

At a loss to what could be causing the problem - suspect a STA configuration but not sure what the problem is.

On 10/29/2019 at 11:38 AM, Andrew Parry said:

Having exactly the same problem - random Connection Timeouts for users when connecting irregardless of Receiver client in use. 

Citrix asking for CDF traces but this maxes out the RAM cache drive on the VDA and results in a VDA hang. 

At a loss to what could be causing the problem - suspect a STA configuration but not sure what the problem is.

We have been fighting this with Support for over 45 days now.  No end in site, upgrading to CU5 as recommended to see if anything is better

On 11/19/2019 at 3:22 PM, John Bulanda1709158398 said:

We have been fighting this with Support for over 45 days now.  No end in site, upgrading to CU5 as recommended to see if anything is better

We gave up with LTSR in a bid to resolve this problem and are currently at 1903 and still experiencing disconnects. 

Server 2016 Shared Desktop for the VDA, sitting on VMWare and only being used for external users via virtual Netscaler pair. 

In our case we had an unmanaged client device (Windows 10 Home) being used by one of our users at home. He was unable to connect, no error client-side, or anything. Nothing on the corresponding servers involved in session initiation and launch whatsoever (Event Log, et al). Only Citrix Director stated "Client Connection Failures/Connection Timeout". 

In turned out that the user had to launch Citrix Workspace App with administrative privileges (by right-clicking the Citrix Workspace App shortcut on his Desktop) and then was able to successfully launch a Citrix session from his Windows 10 Home device. His UAC settings were set to default, i.e. every time he launched Citrix Workspace App, he had to approve it with UAC. That didn't the trick, though. He had to explicitly launch it with administrative privileges everytime.

Alex

Hello guys, first time posting on citrix forum, in my case, we have a customer with over 1200 sessions with Citrix Workspace App. 21.12.0.18 and ICA: 3.3.487d-BOCd-k510-x64-220211. Customer receives around 60 user connection failures  which makes the whole situation really frustrated "why user connection failure are not to 0". Additionally, Failure Type: Client Connection Failure and Failure Reason: other which base https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/xenapp-and-xendesktop/7-15-ltsr/director/failure_reasons_troubleshooting.html not makes sense, since when users trying to establish a session connection it fails and when they retry, they connect. Therefore no CDF can be gathered on this scenario...

We cannot test https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX203760/vdi-session-launches-then-disappears & https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX138404/application-connection-starts-but-disappears-after-timeout since might impact negatively the production, plus, there is no official Citrix answer about the registries fixing the "user connection failure" issue.

7 years later and they have not resolve this issue  yet ...

Just to resurrect this old thread, I found out that these messages that show in Director, without end users' reporting issue is due to session roaming.

So client has an existing session on a machine, they go to another machine and launch the app. 

The session gets initiated and tracked on Director. 

Session sees active session, so it roams that session to this system. 

Director after a scheduled timeout sees that that user didn't get a new session like it saw getting initiated so it reports an error. 

But user is working fine because they are running on the old session.  Found this in the troubleshooting notes.

Client Connection FailuresConnection TimeoutThe client did not connect to the VDA after the VDA was prepared for session launch.
The session was successfully brokered, but a timeout occurred while waiting for the client to connect to the VDA. This could be caused by issues that prevent the client from effectively connecting to the VDA, such as firewall settings, network interruptions, or settings that prevent remote connections.

Check in the Director console to see if the client currently has an active connection, which means no user would be currently impacted.