Photo

PVS76 config wizard can't find SQL Express server, even if local

Started by ASLDhelpdesk , 18 November 2014 - 10:02 PM
5 replies to this topic

Best Answer ASLDhelpdesk , 19 November 2014 - 03:18 PM

I had to do two things to get this to work.  Set to Auto and Start SQL Browser service, and enable Named Pipes under "SQL Server Network Configuration",   Hope this helps someone else.

ASLDhelpdesk Members

SLD Helpdesk
  • 71 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 10:02 PM

We're using SQL Express because we don't own a Full license, we've ran Express since XD4, and besides Citrix still says they support Express and even bundle it with their ISO.

When PVS is installed, and Config Wizard ran, BROWSE button fails to detect the SQL Express server, and if I type in the server name, it comes back with:

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)

I even tried installing PVS on the SQL Express server and it gets the same error.   SQL was installed with all defaults.  

I'm aware this isn't an SQL forum, just hoping someone out there in the Citrix community may have ran into this and know the fix.

Carl Stalhood CTP Member

Carl Stalhood
  • 11,402 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 11:34 PM

In SQL Config Manager, did you enable the TCP/IP protocol?

ASLDhelpdesk Members

SLD Helpdesk
  • 71 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 05:43 AM

Yes. Under "SQL Server Network Configuration", since it's  32bit 2012 R2 OS so I'd installed sqlexpressx64. (and not under "SQL Server Network Configuration 32bit", since there is no sub entry under it such as "Protocols" nor an arrow to expand). Am I perhaps supposed to run the Express 32bit install as well?    The PVS and DDC I'm trying to connect FROM have SQLServer 2012 Native Client installed  but I don't know if it's 32 or 64, as it's bundled with and installed during the the Citrix install. (the OS on them as well is 2012 R2 x64)

Also firewalls are off on all servers and they ping each other fine. The citrix support tech replicated the error in house and said he'll see if he can figure it out, however he's only worked with the full SQL.

ASLDhelpdesk Members

SLD Helpdesk
  • 71 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 03:12 PM

I enabled SQL Server Browser service and started it (on the SQL server) and now with the BROWSE button from PVS config wizard I can see it, select it, but then I get the same error as above, but with error 28 - server doesn't support requested protocol.

ASLDhelpdesk Members

SLD Helpdesk
  • 71 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 03:18 PM

I had to do two things to get this to work.  Set to Auto and Start SQL Browser service, and enable Named Pipes under "SQL Server Network Configuration",   Hope this helps someone else.

Best Answer

Frank Halvorsen Members

Frank Halvorsen
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 02:17 PM

Thank you!!!