Welcome to our new Citrix community!

there were no servers available to start VM, HVM is required

manny manny

Question

Hi all,

i'm new to this for the forum, i'm a vmware admin, currently trying to implement xen in my environment.

i installed xen server 6 on old IBM e server 325. installtion is successful, but when i tried to create a vm via xen center, it failed and giving an error.

" there were no servers available to start VM " centos"

HVM is required for this operation.

since my server is little old, there is no virtualization settings in the bios, but vmware esx was working on that. That is the reason i have hope and confused too.. why xen is not working.

One more work around is , i even tried xen server installed on virtual box in my laptopn. which is i5 processor, with virtualization enabled. sitll i'm getting same error there too...

please help me how to get rid of the error, if my server is old, it should work on my latest laptop isn't it ?

Thanks in advance.

6 answers to this question

http://hcl.xensource.org

Just because a server/pc is new or that it has ran VMware is not a reason to think it would support XenServer. I see that the eServer 326M is verified to work up to version 5.5 but not anything newer and that it will only support running Linux VM's. With the latest firmwares you may be able to get it to run Linux VM's but I doubt it will support Windows VM's. With XenServer is best to purchase hardware with XenServer in mind that way you don't run into compatibility issues.

Alan Lantz

SysAdmin

City of Rogers, AR

If HVM is required, you need to enable CPU virtualization. Running the following command will show if CPU virtualization is enabled:

[root@xenserver-jamesc ~]# cat /proc/cpuinfo

flags: fpu de tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr mca cmov pat clflush acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht nx constant_tsc aperfmperf pni vmx est ssse3 hypervisor tpr_shadow

You should see "vmx" flag in the flags section.

If you created VM and did not use the Linux template, it will be in HVM (hardware virtualization mode). You really wan to use the correct template, so that a xen kernel is used in VM and then it is PVM (paravirtualization mode). If using xen kernel for Linux guest, you don't need CPU virtualization option. CPU virtualization is only required for HVM, like Windows. 

• Like 1