Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Session Shadow

Fabrizio PUPPO

Question

Hello,

In my environment I can't shadow sessions running on a Windows 2008 R2 VDA

Here a short description of my system:

Windows 2008 R2 7.5 DDC with Director installed on it and 2 Machine Catalogs configured: one win7 based with pooled desktop (MCS using vsphere as hypervisor) and one win2008r2 based to deliver only  application.

I can succesfully shadow the sessions running on the client VM but when I try from director to shadow the "terminal" sessions I obtain the following error: "Shadow Session Failure" : Machine failed to respond. View server event logs for further information.

Please note that in the VDA I can't find any kind of error related to the remote assistance attempt while in the DDC event viewer I have the following event:

Level: Warinig

ID 6;

Source: Citrix Director Service

General:

An unexpected error occured"

User: <the correct name of the administrator>

Console operation: 'Starting remote assistance for desktop...'

Additional information: 'Exception of type 'Citrix.Dmc.Common.NotFoundException was thrown'

Thanks a lot in advance.....

RGDS

12 answers to this question

bump - we have this exact issue.

Just upgraded Director to 7.6 and connected it to our XenApp 6.5 farm. I am able to search for and find users, and view running processes and applications. I am also able to terminate their session. Clicking "Shadow" pops up an error with "Remote Assistance Failed To Start." and the Warning in the above post is in the Director Server Application Event Logs - "Exception of type 'Citrix.Dmc.Common.NotFoundException' was thrown."

How do you get Remote Assistance / Shadowing to work??!?!

Hello,

In my environment I can't shadow sessions running on a Windows 7 SP1 VDA

Here a short description of my system:

Windows 7 SP1  7.1 DDC with Different window 2012 Director installed and 2 Machine Catalogs configured: one win7 based with pooled desktop (MCS using vsphere as hypervisor) and one win2008r2 based to deliver only  application.

I can succesfully shadow the sessions running on the client VM but when I try from director to shadow the "terminal" sessions I obtain the following error: "Shadow Session Failure" : Machine failed to respond. View server event logs for further information.

Please note that in the VDA I can't find any kind of error related to the remote assistance attempt while in the DDC event viewer I have the following event:

Level: Warinig

ID 6;

Source: Citrix Director Service

General:

An unexpected error occured"

User: <the correct name of the administrator>

Console operation: 'Starting remote assistance for desktop...'

Additional information: 'Exception of type 'Citrix.Dmc.Common.NotFoundException was thrown'

Thanks 

SK

I have just come across this same issue and was wondering if anyone knew how to resolve it? I have just done a new XenApp 7.15 install and seeing shadowing fail against 2008 R2 servers. You can manually do Remote Assistance without Director, but Director just fails with

Remote Assistance failed to start.

Machine failed to respond. View Director server event logs for further information (Refer Citrix KB article CTX130320).