Photo

Cannot create Machine Catalog

Started by Alin Ghitulan , 30 April 2014 - 07:06 AM
3 replies to this topic

Alin Ghitulan Members

Alin Ghitulan
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:06 AM

The following exception is thrown when I am trying to create Windows 7 Sp1 , Windows 8 or Windows 2012 Server Machine Catalog. I have checked to make sure that the VDA is installed on the master images. I am using XenServer 6.2 as hypervisor. Can you please assist? 

I have also Tested the Connection and no errors where found. only one warning stating that I should use https instead of http but since this is only a testing lab for now this is not a priority to me. 

Error Id: XDDS:84D81E3A

Exception:
    Citrix.Console.Models.Exceptions.ScriptException Preparation of the Master VM Image failed. Make sure the selected image has a supported OS (for example, Windows 7) and the correct version of the VDA (7.0 or later) installed.
       at Citrix.Console.PowerShellSdk.ProvisioningSchemeService.BackgroundTasks.ProvisioningSchemeTask.CheckForTerminatingError(SdkProvisioningSchemeAction sdkProvisioningSchemeAction)
       at Citrix.Console.PowerShellSdk.ProvisioningSchemeService.BackgroundTasks.ProvisioningSchemeTask.WaitForProvisioningSchemeActionCompletion(Guid taskId, Action`1 actionResultsObtained)
       at Citrix.Console.PowerShellSdk.ProvisioningSchemeService.BackgroundTasks.ProvisioningSchemeCreationTask.StartProvisioningAction()
       at Citrix.Console.PowerShellSdk.ProvisioningSchemeService.BackgroundTasks.ProvisioningSchemeCreationTask.RunTask()
       at Citrix.Console.PowerShellSdk.BackgroundTaskService.BackgroundTask.Task.Run()

DesktopStudio_ErrorId : UnknownError
    ErrorCategory : NotSpecified
    ErrorID : ImagePreparationFinalizationFailedCompletely
    TaskErrorInformation : Terminated
    InternalErrorMessage : No Image Preparation results found, suggesting no suitable VDA or other serious failure in the Master VM. Image preparation failed
    DesktopStudio_PowerShellHistory : Create Machine Catalog 'Win12 Catalog'
    4/29/2014 5:15:43 PM

Get-ConfigServiceStatus  -AdminAddress 'xenapp.citrix.local:80'
    Get-LogSite  -AdminAddress 'xenapp.citrix.local:80'
    Start-LogHighLevelOperation  -AdminAddress 'xenapp.citrix.local:80' -Source 'Studio' -StartTime 4/29/2014 2:15:20 PM -Text 'Create Machine Catalog `'Win12 Catalog`''
    New-BrokerCatalog  -AdminAddress 'xenapp.citrix.local:80' -AllocationType 'Random' -IsRemotePC $False -LoggingId c8fd80ef-de49-4f19-883c-1748bf92bff5 -MinimumFunctionalLevel 'L7' -Name 'Win12 Catalog' -PersistUserChanges 'Discard' -ProvisioningType 'MCS' -Scope @() -SessionSupport 'MultiSession'
    New-AcctIdentityPool  -AdminAddress 'xenapp.citrix.local:80' -AllowUnicode -Domain 'citrix.local' -IdentityPoolName 'Win12 Catalog' -LoggingId c8fd80ef-de49-4f19-883c-1748bf92bff5 -NamingScheme 'Win12VM-##' -NamingSchemeType 'Numeric' -OU 'CN=Computers,DC=citrix,DC=local' -Scope @()
    Set-BrokerCatalogMetadata  -AdminAddress 'xenapp.citrix.local:80' -CatalogId 8 -LoggingId c8fd80ef-de49-4f19-883c-1748bf92bff5 -Name 'Citrix_DesktopStudio_IdentityPoolUid' -Value '976bea75-f309-4328-90fd-bf83950819f2'
    Test-ProvSchemeNameAvailable  -AdminAddress 'xenapp.citrix.local:80' -ProvisioningSchemeName @('Win12 Catalog')
    New-ProvScheme  -AdminAddress 'xenapp.citrix.local:80' -CleanOnBoot -HostingUnitName 'MyResources' -IdentityPoolName 'Win12 Catalog' -LoggingId c8fd80ef-de49-4f19-883c-1748bf92bff5 -MasterImageVM 'XDHyp:\HostingUnits\MyResources\Windows Server 2012 (64-bit) (1).vm\ReadyToCatalog.snapshot' -NetworkMapping @{'0'='XDHyp:\HostingUnits\MyResources\Network 0.network'} -ProvisioningSchemeName 'Win12 Catalog' -RunAsynchronously -Scope @() -VMCpuCount 2 -VMMemoryMB 2048
    Stop-LogHighLevelOperation  -AdminAddress 'xenapp.citrix.local:80' -EndTime 4/29/2014 2:15:43 PM -HighLevelOperationId 'c8fd80ef-de49-4f19-883c-1748bf92bff5' -IsSuccessful $False

Philip Kendall Citrix Employees

Philip Kendall
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:07 AM

Unfortunately, this sort of failure isn't easy to debug; the following is an excerpt from a work in progress document we are producing to help debug this kind of error.

The first step you need to do is to modify the Controller's configuration so that it doesn't shut down the image preparation VM when a failure occurs; from a PowerShell prompt, run

Set-ProvServiceConfigurationData -Name ImageManagementPrep_NoAutoShutdown -Value $True

(you'll need to do "Add-PsSnapin Citrix.MachineCreation.Admin.V2" first unless you started the PowerShell prompt from Studio). Note that this will affect all catalog creation, so you should ensure nobody else is going to be trying anything while you're doing this debugging.

Next, on the master image, create a DWORD registry value at HKLM\Software\Citrix\MachineIdentityServiceAgent\LOGGING and set the value to 1.

If you now attempt catalog creation, an extra VM will be started; log into this VM (via the hypervisor console, it has no network access) and see if anything is obviously wrong (e.g. it's bluescreened or something like that!). If it hasn't there should be two log files called "image-prep.log" and "PvsVmAgentLog.txt" created in c:\ - scan these for any errors.

When you've finished doing all this debugging, remember to run

Remove-ProvServiceConfigurationData -Name ImageManagementPrep_NoAutoShutdown

so that catalog creation will occur normally again.

Alin Ghitulan Members

Alin Ghitulan
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:51 AM

Hi Philip,

Thanks for answering. I ran the command and set LOGGING to 1 but the only difference is that now the exception is thrown in 1-2 minutes. Same exception. If I look in the Console the only thing that is saying on the Preparation VM is that "Vm is currently shut down. Click Here to start it." And then the Preparation VM dissapears and the exception is thrown. 

One more thing: I didn't yet activate my master images (using KMS). Could that be the problem?  

Can you please further assist me with this?

Thanks,

Alin Ghitulan

Martin Mühlenhoff Members

Martin Mühlenhoff
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 04:06 PM

For me the following GPO setting blocked the Machine Update:

(sorry only german language gpo console available)

GPO

-> Computerkonfiguration

-> Richtlinien

-> Administrative Vorlagen

-> System

-> Geräteinstallation

-> Einschränkungen bei der Geräteinstallation

"Installation von Geräten verhindern, die nicht in anderen Richtlinien beschrieben sind"

This setting was Active. I changed that, did a "gpupdate /force" on my master image and did a machine catalog update => works!