Office slow when opening direct from file

Started by Paul Mainstone , 16 December 2013 - 08:52 AM
66 replies to this topic

Paul Mainstone Members

Paul Mainstone
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:52 AM

Hi

Hoping someone has experienced this issue or logged it as a bug.

I have 2 customers who are running XenDesktop 7.1 for published apps on Server 2008 R2. they have Office 2007 installed. When launching Word, Excel and powerpoint from the apps then run fast, when launched through a file it takes around 10-15 secs to open the app. If I RDP to the server all scenarios run fast (under 3 secs).

It suggests that something in the ICA client is slowing the app opening. I have tried installing Office 2010, which fixes the problem for all, but Excel. I have disabled file validation and also tried a fresh server with nothing but Office on and the problem persists.

The customer did upgrade their DC around this time, could this be a contributing factor, but the fact that 2 customers are seeing this makes me wonder.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks Paul

Brian Anderberg Members

Brian Anderberg
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:26 PM

Hi Paul

I am experiencing almost the same. Tried Office 2007 and 2013. Having installed all Office 2013 updates we only see the problem with Excel. ICA and RDP are equally slow. We can "solve" the problem by installing VDA 7.0, but this is not an option for us.

Yesterday I had a remote session with Citrix and a lot of testing showed that Citrix hooks are causing the slowness. The support case is now being escalated.

Regards,

Brian

Balaji Muthukrishnan Members

Balaji Muthukrishnan
  • 242 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:35 AM

experiencing the same with office 2013 in XD 7.1 VDA as wel. Have disabled hardware acceleration as suggested but still excel performance is lagging

Hunter McFadden Members

Hunter McFadden
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 02:37 PM

Any fixes for this?  We are having the same issue with Excel 2010.  Does not occur in XenApp 6.5.

Thanks

Hunter

Hunter McFadden Members

Hunter McFadden
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:37 PM

We have submitted a support case as well.  Hopefully we can get this resolved.

Dominic Stenger Members

Dominic Stenger
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:49 AM

Hi,

we have the same issue. Are there any news on this case?

Thanks

Dominic

Kamps Pallets Members

Kamps Pallets
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 05:45 AM

Any updates about this?

Derrick Foos Members

Derrick Foos
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:21 PM

I am experiencing the same issue with Excel 2010. Excel opens immediately when launched directly, and maybe a few hundred milliseconds to open a spreadsheet.  If I double click on the same spreadsheet, it takes 6+ seconds to open. I did not notice this until after upgrading VDA to 7.1.  Removed the VDA, and Excel launches fine from double clicking on the spreadsheet.  Citrix Support recommended hotfix XD710ICAWSWX64002.  The hotfix did not fix the issue.  I am now waiting to hear back more from support.

Kamps Pallets Members

Kamps Pallets
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:29 AM

I have a ticket open as well with no fix yet. Citrix dev team is reviewing trace files they requested.

In my case is VDA 7.1 with no hotfixes, Windows 2008 R2 ST SP1 and Office 2013 STD 32bit and patches up to date.

I also have Microsoft Office 2010 professional plus with only Access installed , the rest is office 2013

Interestingly I do not experience the slow opening Excel files directly on RDP session or console session only on ICA session.

I did test already disabling UPM but no success.

I have tried several things suggested in other community forums like disabling graphics acceleration, clearing the recent folders under AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Office\Recent but no success either.

The issue happens with admin and non-admin users.

Kamps Pallets Members

Kamps Pallets
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:36 AM

Hunter and others,

Have you been able to resolve this issue yet?

If not, could you share the ticket # you have opened? 

I have 61214867 open and Citrix techs told me it would be easier to correlate the issues with other people but they were asking me for other people ticket #s.

Thanks!

Derrick Foos Members

Derrick Foos
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:59 PM

Case Details

Case Subject:

excel takes few seconds to openon master image(in hypervisor)

Case Product:

Citrix XenDesktop

Previous Case Number:

New Case Number:

Matt Ailstock Members

Matt Ailstock
  • 125 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:17 PM

Out of curiosity, is anyone that is having this issue also running the Lync client? We are trying to determine if the issue is the 7.1 VDA or the Lync add-ins.

Thanks.

Kamps Pallets Members

Kamps Pallets
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:59 PM

Matt, 

Don't have Lync installed.

Derrick Foos Members

Derrick Foos
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:05 PM

Matt,

We dont have the Lync Plug-in installed.

David Mitchell Members

David Mitchell
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:47 PM

We dont have the Lync Plug-in installed. 

We are having the same issue with XD7.1 Windows 2008 R2 & Office 2007

The delay is just enough to be very annoying for the users. Everything else is super snappy. 

We are just testing the new XD7 environment with users and feedback has been poor because of this issue. 

Matt Ailstock Members

Matt Ailstock
  • 125 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:18 PM

Thanks, interesting information.  Has anyone had success with Citrix technical support in resolving the issue?

GENESIS ESTEBAN Members

GENESIS ESTEBAN
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:00 AM

For those that are having issues with office 2013, SP1 just got released today.

We are also having issues of slow opening direct from file with MS Access 2013 especially the second and succeeding databases that gets open.

Opening the file inside access have no issues.

When I found out that SP1 was released I gave it a shot and bam MS Access opens up quickly without any problem, give it a shot it might solve the issue.

Matt Ailstock Members

Matt Ailstock
  • 125 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:52 AM

I'm stuck on Office 2010 for the duration.

BEVERLY STOCKER Members

BEVERLY STOCKER
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:30 PM

Found on a different blog trying the following setting in the registry:

Determined that with the vdisk image accessing network files from share drives was taking long load times.  Creating following GP change for registery entry on vdisk to set native drive map setting:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Citrix\ICA Client\Engine\Configuration\
Advanced\Modules\ClientDrive
NativeDriveMapping
Reg Type: REG_SZ
Add the Value: True

This fixed the speed issue when accessing from network drive and also accessing from SharePoint in Explorer mode.  It did not fix the slowness with SharePoint when in All Documents mode and opening as read only.  This still talks about 20 seconds to load.  We are running XenDesktop 7.1  Server 2012 R2 and SharePoint 2010 Office 2013.

Bev Stocker

IT Manager, MTA

David Mitchell Members

David Mitchell
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:28 PM

Hmm, doesnt help me. That reg key is already set to True on my systems.