Photo

Can I use a current vDisk as base for a new/different vDisk?

Started by Ken Wilkes , 21 November 2013 - 01:00 PM
5 replies to this topic

Best Answer Carl Stalhood , 21 November 2013 - 01:20 PM

Yes:

1. If using versioning, create a merged base.
  2. Use Explorer and go to the vDisk store. Look for the newest .vhd file. Copy the .vhd file and .pvp file (but don't copy the .lok file). Either paste the files in the same store with a different name or paste the files to a different vDisk store folder.
  3. In the PvS Console, right-click the vDisk store and click Add or Import Existing vDisk.
  4. Use the drop-down to select the correct PvS server. Click Search. Then click Add.

You now have a new copied vDisk that can be assigned to a device.

Ken Wilkes Members

Ken Wilkes
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:00 PM

Hi All,

I have a very nice XenApp6.5 PVS vDisk that it working well for over 150 users now, so well that I don't want to mess anything up!

I have been asked to provide 'another' vDisk image for a different department who would like to move onto the same Citrix farm but they have different software requirements on their citrix servers (this will be split by worker groups).

As the original image is working so well - is it possible to take a duplicate copy of a vDisk and then provision a new vDisk based on that? (bascially using the current version as a base for a new vDisk)  If so, is there a best method - I don't want to mess up anything on the existing image.

The new department has 95% same requirements of the current vDisk, except for a different java version and IE10 and some other minor things. 

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,

JAK

Carl Stalhood CTP Member

Carl Stalhood
  • 11,621 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:20 PM

Yes:

1. If using versioning, create a merged base.
  2. Use Explorer and go to the vDisk store. Look for the newest .vhd file. Copy the .vhd file and .pvp file (but don't copy the .lok file). Either paste the files in the same store with a different name or paste the files to a different vDisk store folder.
  3. In the PvS Console, right-click the vDisk store and click Add or Import Existing vDisk.
  4. Use the drop-down to select the correct PvS server. Click Search. Then click Add.

You now have a new copied vDisk that can be assigned to a device.

Best Answer

shocko Members

Darragh O'Shaughnessy
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:22 PM

Carl is correct. I wish they would implement a 'split off' option in the GUI to automate this though :(

Ken Wilkes Members

Ken Wilkes
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:09 PM

Carl/Darragh,

Thanks for the advice and sounds as simple as I thought but wanted to verify with experts!  I do use versioning so will create the merge base first.  This might be a silly question but do I need to create an export file first (on the original vDisk) to enable me to import the duplicate?  Or can you import/add a vDisk without the need for an export xml file? 

Thanks again.

JAK

Michael Love Members

Michael Love
  • 532 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:57 PM

I've never used an export XML file.  I've always just imported the .vhd (along with the .pvp).

Darryl Sakach Members

Darryl Sakach
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 03:03 PM

I would add one detail to Carl's answer, item 2. When you rename remove the version number altogether, otherwise you will get a popup error on the vhd file when you run the search. At least this is true in PVS 7.6.