XenDesktop 6.5 and vSphere 5.1

Started by Bryce Kaspar , 29 November 2012 - 06:01 PM
9 replies to this topic

Bryce Kaspar Members

Bryce Kaspar
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:01 PM

Hello All,
So I can't run any older version of vSphere in my environment because they have open vulnerabilities, this leaves me with the currently unsupported version of vSphere to use with the XenDesktop systems I'd like to stand up. I have a brand new XenDesktop 6.5 instance that I'm trying to configure to use with my recently upgraded vSphere 5.1 infrastructure. Once I managed to FIND the sdk link for 5.1, I get an error when adding the vSphere 5.1 Host to the Desktop Studio MMC:

New-Item: An exception occurred. The associated message was Request version 'urn:vim25/4.0' and namespace 'urn:vim25' are not supported.

Actual Citrix support told me "Not Supported!" when I bounced it off them, so Best Effort Support is apparently not very much effort :)

Martin Rowan Citrix Employees

Martin Rowan
  • 124 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:27 PM

Technical Support is correct, vSphere 5.1 is not yet a supported platform, but is going through our validation process at present.

I'd imagine VMware have releasesed hotfixes to 5.0 Update 1 if there are any important security vulnerabilities needing to be addressed, as they also know customers can't do in place wholesale upgrades to new versions.

There are various posts on this forum of customer using vSphere 5.1 with varying degrees of success. For some it just works, for others there are issues updating catalogs or deleting VMs.

I assume below you actually mean XenDesktop 5.6.
Here are some simple checks to see if you can at least get a sucessful host connect:
1. You need to import the VMware vCenter certificate into the trusted people\local computer certificate store.
There is a Citrix KB article on this, but this blog may be useful as it has clearer step by step instructions: http://jariangibson....-5-with-vmware/
2. In Desktop Studio enter the address of the vCenter server as: https://Your-vCenter...-domain.com/sdk
3. Assuming the user credentials you have entered have the necessary rights it should then continue through to the next step (again the aforementioned blog has details of specific rights if you're not wanting to use a full admin account)

Hopefully this will get your though the initial configuration.

Bryce Kaspar Members

Bryce Kaspar
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:40 PM

Martin,
Thanks for the quick reply. Any idea on when it will be done with validation? I cruised through the other issues people were running into, and I assume I'm having a configuration problem, not a compatibility problem at the moment.

1. I'm reasonably sure I got the certificates sorted out correctly, but I will double check from that site.
2. That is NOT the sdk path I thought I was to use, so let me go sort that out and see what's up (I was pointing to myserver.com:7444/lookupservice/sdk which is apparently quite wrong?).
3. I'm tried connecting with the vSphere Admin account, so hopefully that's not it.

Martin Rowan Citrix Employees

Martin Rowan
  • 124 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:55 PM

On the validation front, I'm afraid I can't say. I know it's in progress, but I don't know if there are any issues which might need to be addressed with hotfixes.

With respect to:
1. Worth checking the certificate store to ensure you imported into the right place, not just the default location.
2. Nope no idea what that SDK path is, but not the one you need. Also ensure you are pointing to the vCenter server. Not at ESXi host.
3. Indeed, admin "should" just work.
Martin

Edited by: Martin Rowan on 29-Nov-2012 18:55

Bryce Kaspar Members

Bryce Kaspar
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:08 PM

No wories on the timeline, that was a curiosity question.

1. I verified they were in the local machine store, and IE behaves as I would expect with regards to certificate errors when I hit vmc websites.

2. Yeah, I think my sdk installation is non-functional. Desktop Studio rejects the url with a "url invalid" error and a couple of the wsdl files I would expect to see under that URI aren't there. Also I can't find an SDK webapp under the tomcat install within vSphere, which is, I think, where I should. Time to go bother my vSphere admins and see what's up.

Bryce

Jeff Walteri Members

Jeff Walteri
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:42 AM

What vulnerabilities? They release patches every month if necessary.

All vSphere versions are secure even 3.5 still gets patched.

Mark Syms Citrix Employees

Mark Syms
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:06 AM

Note - you don't have to install anything on the vCenter server to get the SDK that XenDesktop uses. The web service endpoint is always there - indeed it's what the vCenter client uses itself.

Mark.

Bryce Kaspar Members

Bryce Kaspar
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:24 PM

vSphere vulnerabilities: Well, I only have what my nessus scans and my vSphere admin told me on that one. I think he and I will have a chat on that score. But, I'm stuck with 5.1 for the immediate future at least.

SDK: That's what I keep reading, and yet mine does not seem to be responding to XenDesktop or to any of the wsdl requests I can find to make against it. Do you know any good ways to test if the SDK site is alive and functioning, other than by pointing XenDesktop or the VMWare client at it, in that one of those works fine and not the other.

Mark Syms Citrix Employees

Mark Syms
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:36 PM

Pointing a browser at

https://<vcenter server name>/sdk

should do it, if this gives page not found then you are pointing at the wrong server.

There isn't anything you can install separately to give the functionality required by XenDesktop, so randomly downloading stuff and installing it will not help. XenDesktop ships with all the client components it requires to make connections to vSphere and everything else is built into the vCenter server.

Mark.

Bryce Kaspar Members

Bryce Kaspar
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:30 PM

Success! I have two vSphere servers, one of them has a broken sdk in some exciting way. The other does not, guess which one I was trying. Pointed at the other one and hey, connection made.