Photo

grace license issued after update to hotfix XS61E004

Started by Jonathan Hite , 17 November 2012 - 07:11 AM
16 replies to this topic

Jonathan Hite Members

Jonathan Hite
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:11 AM

After installing hotfix on the 2nd host in my pool (2 host pool) via Xencenter it rebooted and I got an alert that a temporary license had been issued for that server. Well I realized that I had just suspended the license server during the upgrade and thought it was because the xenserver couldn't connect to the license server since it wasn't running yet. So I moved the license server to the master and rebooted the second server again. Same problem. I tried to assigning the licenses again but it didn't work. So I now have 29 days to figure this out.
I will say that I haven't installed the update on the master yet. Maybe I shoudl have and that's my problem. But now that I'm on a temporary license with one server I'd hate to have the same happen to the other. So if anyone can offer some direction that would be great.

Edited by: jhiteknx on Nov 17, 2012 4:41 PM

shitiz bansal Members

shitiz bansal
  • 681 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:44 PM

try to promote the slave as master and see if that works.

Jonathan Hite Members

Jonathan Hite
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:37 PM

slave is now master... same results
grace license is still being issued. I checked and made sure the license server was up and running and all seems well there. The first server license is still ok. Only the one that has been updated is getting the grace license.

Edited by: jhiteknx on Nov 17, 2012 4:41 PM

Jonathan Hite Members

Jonathan Hite
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:06 PM

I tird deleting the old licenses off the server and reallocating and redownloading them.
Then I released the licenses and tried to re assign them with the license manager. Now both of my hosts are on temporary grace licenses. Any help woudl be greatly appreciated. I've got 27 days to get this figured out.

Tobias Kreidl Members

Tobias Kreidl
  • 12,375 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:12 PM

It shouldn't matter which server is master or slave when updating licenses.

I assume the new license tokens show up as available on your local licenses server (having assigned the new licenses to the license server via the license manager under you Citrix account). I'd also try restarting XenCenter, as sometimes it gets confused; it can take a couple tries to get the new license to "take". The hosts are talking OK to the license server, right?

--Tobias

Jonathan Hite Members

Jonathan Hite
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:18 PM

I wasn't trying to update licenses in the beginning. I installed hotfix 4 and then after that it reported that a grace license was being issued. I tried moving the license server to the other host and rebooting everything and that did not help. then I promoted the second server (that I had updated) to master as the first person suggested. That didn't help. I then tried reallocating the licenses in mycitrix, redownloaded them, and replaced the licenses on the server. Released the licenses using the license manager and tried assigning the redownloaded, reallocated licenses. Now both servers have a grace license issued.
as far as I can tell the xenservers are able to coomunicate with the license server. I can access it's web interface fine and it shows the IP in the last column in the license manager.
Also, I still have not installed the hotfix 4 to the other xenserver. I was scared of the same thing happening with the license, But since that has already happened I will likely be preforming that update tonight after hours. I would do it now but live migration between local storage isn't working anymore for some reason. I tested it out after I got the licenses installed the first time and it worked great. But now that I need it the option is greyed out.

Edited by: jhiteknx on Nov 19, 2012 11:19 AM

Edited by: jhiteknx on Nov 19, 2012 11:21 AM

Tobias Kreidl Members

Tobias Kreidl
  • 12,375 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:22 PM

Sounds like the confusion may be over which license server is the "official" one. When you activate the license, I assume you go to the "apply license" pop-up dialog box that asks for the name/IP address of the licenses server and defaults to port 27000. Have you tored a "xe-toolstack-restart" just to make sure the intercommunication is OK between your XenServer hosts??
--Tobias

Jonathan Hite Members

Jonathan Hite
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:25 PM

There is only 1 license server. I did move it from one host to the other but it's the same license server.

Jonathan Hite Members

Jonathan Hite
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:28 PM

ran xe-toolstack-restart on both hosts
same results

shitiz bansal Members

shitiz bansal
  • 681 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:53 PM

can you see the licenses in the administration console? if not try to disable the firewall within the appliance (service iptables stop) or on the xenservers, see if that helps.

Jonathan Hite Members

Jonathan Hite
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:54 PM

yes the licenses are listed there

Tobias Kreidl Members

Tobias Kreidl
  • 12,375 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:47 PM

Which version of the license server are you running (and is it a Windows or a Linux appliance)? Which version of XenServer are you running? I believe there are some minimum version levels you have to be at to support some of the newer versions of XenServer.

Jonathan Hite Members

Jonathan Hite
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:50 PM

xenserver 6.1 advanced managing with xencenter from the latest xencenter hotfix
license server is the imported xva license server running on linux
it was working fine up until the xs61e004 update

Edited by: jhiteknx on Nov 19, 2012 12:58 PM

Jonathan Hite Members

Jonathan Hite
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:34 PM

solved
I turned off iptables on the licensing server
I guess I need to get that set up properly.

Jonathan Hite Members

Jonathan Hite
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:34 PM

solved it myself

shitiz bansal Members

shitiz bansal
  • 681 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:17 PM

read my post above i suggested you it before ;)

Jonathan Hite Members

Jonathan Hite
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:08 PM

well you said if i couldn't see if in the web interface... but i could.. so i didn't pay much attention... but then i did it anyway... and it worked... so thanks