Solaris 10 installation to Xenserver 6.0.2

Started by Jani Havia , 24 August 2012 - 05:44 AM
21 replies to this topic

Jani Havia Members

Jani Havia
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 05:44 AM

Hi,

I try to install Solaris 10 to Xenserver 6.0.2 but when the installation media boots it hangs pretty much at the start. I have tried to boot media from CIFS and from DVD but with same results. I've downloaded iso-image two times so I don't think there is any problems with the image. I tried to install Solaris to local storage and the physical server is HP DL380 G7. I use the expiremental Solaris 10 template. Is there some trick to get Solaris 10 installed to the XS 6.0.2 or is it practically impossible?

regards,
Jani

Albert Czarnecki Members

Albert Czarnecki
  • 375 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:20 PM

Hi Jani,

I had the same problem what you. I tried install Solaris 10u10 on XenServer 6.x, without any effect. All the time I had some kernel problem. I had successfull installation Solaris 10u10 only on XenServer 5.6

Jani Havia Members

Jani Havia
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:57 AM

I have tried to figure this out but no result. Installation hang everytime at the beginning and I have tried it in two different servers.

When I try to install the Solaris with the -V option, installation in both servers hangs with same messages as in this attached screen shot.

-Jani-

Attached Files

Turgut Baumann Members

Turgut Baumann
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:26 PM

Hi,

I'm making the same experience as you guys. I upgraded ten servers to Xenserver 6.0.2 and from now on my Solaris 10 VMs didn't start anymore. I also tried all Workarounds for Opensolaris from the 360is guys, but they didn't work either. Is there anyone, who accomplished to install Solaris 10 64bit in a VM on Xenserver 6.0.2 so far?

Cheers
Turgut

Kevin Joy Members

Kevin Joy
  • 67 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:36 PM

We had an issue with Solaris 10.10. We couldn't install anything in XenServer 6 or 6.0.2 above Solaris 10.6 I believe. Prior version work. This was an issue with XenServer and OVM

Albert Czarnecki Members

Albert Czarnecki
  • 375 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:48 AM

Hello,
We tried to install Solaris 11 but without any success.

I think, it's good idea for create a list of people who will want seeing Solaris on supported systems under Xenserver. If we will have a lot of peoples then Citrix maybe put a Solaris to the list supported systems.
My company have a lot of clients who use Solaris.

Edited by: Albert Czarnecki on Sep 15, 2012 4:55 AM

Jani Havia Members

Jani Havia
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:07 AM

Hi guys and thanks for your answers!
I think it's very strange that Citrix don't fully support Solaris. I know there is lots of Solaris systems out there and many IT service providers have to go and buy ESX just for that. I'm pretty much all-in Citrix guy but these kind of situations makes me wonder why Citrix do things like they do.

-Jani-

Tobias Kreidl CTP Member

Tobias Kreidl
  • 18,052 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:53 AM

I suspect part of the issue is the horrendous licensing fees that Oracle charges to run Solaris on any non-Oracle (Sun) server. It's $1k per physical CPU per year, even if you just run one instance of Solaris on one VCPU. Five years of support on a 2-processor box and you've bought a whole new machine.

Todd Wadzinski Members

Todd Wadzinski
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:23 PM

I too am having this same issue. Has anyone any resolve yet?
I've attached screen shots showing what we're all talking about.

Attached Files

Jani Havia Members

Jani Havia
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:12 AM

Hi,

We managed to install Solaris 10 on XS 6.0.2 when we used any older versions than 10u10.

regards,
Jani

Ioannis Beredimas Citrix Employees

Ioannis Beredimas
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:22 PM

// Edited for disclaimer, Nov-5, 14:30 EEST

Disclaimer: this isn't an official response, I do happen to work for Citrix, but not for the XenServer team. I just ran into this issue myself and found a workaround of sorts, which hopefully will help someone else:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E27300_01/E27307/html/vmrns-bugs.html#vmrns-solaris10hangs

Applying the above workaround allowed the installer to continue and complete, at least for my case (Xenserver 6.1 on IBM blade HS23). When the installation finishes you need to re-apply this workaround on first boot or edit /a/etc/system prior to the installer rebooting.

Edited by: IoannisB on Nov 5, 2012 7:27 AM

Albert Czarnecki Members

Albert Czarnecki
  • 375 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:01 PM

Hi IoannisB,

Thanks for this info. Now I tried installed Solaris 10u10 on XS 6.1 but when I edit grub and set -kd parametr I still have the same error message. You can see it on my screenshot.

Attached Files

Ioannis Beredimas
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:10 PM

Hey Albert,

Frankly I don't know, and other than running in a reference to a similar issue in the Oracle forums [1] I couldn't find anything with a casual google search. I can only tell you that the workaround was enough for me to get the VM to boot.

[1] https://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=10023703 ; unfortunately no response

Albert Czarnecki Members

Albert Czarnecki
  • 375 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:19 PM

which exactly version you tried installed? It was solaris sol-10-u10-ga2-x86?

Ioannis Beredimas
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:37 PM

Yes, sol-10-u10-ga2-x86-dvd.iso (just doublechecked the MD5 checksum against http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/solaris10/downloads/index.html)

Albert Czarnecki Members

Albert Czarnecki
  • 375 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:47 PM

It's really wierd why it not working on my environment. Can you show us your entry in grub, maybe you change something else

Todd Wadzinski Members

Todd Wadzinski
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:50 PM

Albert, having the same issue as well. Any pertinent examples/information such as grub entry would be a huge help :-).

Rachel Berry Citrix Employees

Rachel Berry
  • 597 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:27 PM

To the best of my knowledge, although this is not my area so should be taken as a general point on 3rd party OS support.

Experimental features are often those where we are reliant on 3rd parties or external technologies (this could be OS software, upstream kernels etc) to resolve issues and where the support is dependent on factors out of our control. If there is a chance that we will not be able to solve issues we prefer not to support functionality rather than customrrs spend time and energy where there is significant chance that a problem may not be resolvable.

We appeciate there is user demand for Solaris and have provided the experimental feature for the integration on our side.

It is always worth highlighting demand for an OS with an OS provider and investigating whether there is an issue they can resolve.

Best wishes,
Rachel

Ioannis Beredimas
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:26 PM

I accidentally reproduced the problem that some of you reported, Solaris 10 constantly crashing on boot with a message "Attempting to load xen drivers on non-xen system".

In my case the problem was solved by running the following commands on the xenserver CLI:

\# xe vm-list
(figure out the Solaris VM UUID)
\# xe vm-param-set uuid=8bae73dd-70a5-8012-00d3-cedede92a117 platform:viridian=false

Credit for this goes to Peter Bats (cf. http://forums.citrix.com/message.jspa?messageID=1419442)

Edited by: IoannisB on Nov 22, 2012 3:26 PM

Albert Czarnecki Members

Albert Czarnecki
  • 375 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:30 AM

Hi IoannisB,

I changed VM settings, but effect is the same, Solaris doesn't want to install
It hang up in the same place, you can see this on my screenshot.
I tested this on XS 6.0.2 and 6.1. I have RX200S6 and RX200S7 servers from Fujitsu Technology Solution.
Have you any idea what could be wrong?

Attached Files