Photo

Application Launch Delay

Started by Nathan Coppersmith , 29 May 2011 - 11:09 PM
3 replies to this topic

Nathan Coppersmith Members

Nathan Coppersmith
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 11:09 PM

Trying to troubleshoot application launch times on a brand new Xenapp6 farm. Applications vary, but for my testing revolve around Word, Excel, Notepad, and Citrix DC.

Close all applications and launch one...application brings up custom splash screen (click OK) then 5-10 seconds later, the application loads. Subsequent applications load instantly.

Not familiar with the environment, was brought in to replace engineer who quit, so I'm shooting very blind here. I checked and start without printers is set to yes for all the apps I'm testing with. I've also disabled NetBIOS over TCP on the client I'm testing on. (read somewhere that both of those could impact app launch time)

I don't have access to Edgesight so I don't have hard data on application launch time or anything like that. Packet Captures on the workstation don't show any anomlies (ARP, DNS, etc), overall I'd say the network is healthy.

Is this just a first app issue related to authentication as subsequent apps launch instantly? What is a reasonable expectation for application launch time?

Karthikeyan Sankarkrishnan Members

Karthikeyan Sankarkrishnan
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 11:18 PM

The first applicatiosn takes 5-10 seconds beacuse it is running all the scripts from GPO and citrix. This is normal

After the first application is launched other applications open instantly beacuse of Session sharing

What are you trying to diagnoise?

Helpful Answer

Shane Brennan Citrix Employees

Shane Brennan
  • 96 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 04:43 PM

Yes those sorts of load times are perfectly normal.

Nathan Coppersmith Members

Nathan Coppersmith
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 03:11 PM

Not so much a diagnosis as much as what a reasonable expectation for load times are. I think they're fine but wanted an opinion to make sure that the environment sounded healthy. My perception was that it was the GPO's and other session creation things as well and perfectly normal, I just wanted to bounce it off the community

Give Us feedback