Chrome and launch.ica

Started by Martin Brice , 01 October 2010 - 08:18 PM
20 replies to this topic

Martin Brice Members

Martin Brice
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 08:18 PM

Hello all,

assume the following scenario: using Chrome browser, I log in to the Citrix MetaFrame; then upon clicking on the workstation icon, the browser offers me to save the 'launch.ica' file. Then, when I run "wfica32.exe launch.ica", nothing happens ( looks like the applet exits immediately without any mesage). How do I run the 'launch.ica' file? Is there a way to use the Chrome browser here in the first place? Thanks!

Alan Lantz Members

Alan Lantz
  • 3,550 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 06:09 PM

To my knowlege the short answer is not easily. So far the support for launching external applications just isn't there from chrome. I have seen some references to hacks that might work, but nothing tired and true and simple.

Alan Lantz
SysAdmin
City of Rogers, AR

Martin Brice Members

Martin Brice
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 07:34 PM

Thank you, Johnnie,
if you'd continue being so kind -
a) What is it that prevents Chrome from launching external apps in this case?
b) Which executable is actually loading the "launch.ica" file and - is it correct to launch it like "xxx.exe 'launch.ica'"?

Alan Lantz Members

Alan Lantz
  • 3,550 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 01:33 AM

If you saved the ICA to your local computer and launched wfica32.exe it should work. You may have to launch wfica32.exe from the folder where it resides for it to work properly. Chrome is the executable that doesn't know how to handle ICA and is giving you the box to save it. Until their developers get Chrome setup to handle external programs or Citrix writes code to integrate with Chrome,you are out of luck.

Alan Lantz
SysAdmin
City or Rogers, AR

Alan Lantz Members

Alan Lantz
  • 3,550 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 01:42 AM

Out of curiosity I thought I would give it a try. I have Windows 7, and The Citrix Online Plugin Web 12.0. I downloaded the latest Chrome and it worked seamlessly. I know the last time I tried I had issues with the ICA not launching the Citrix Client, but it works now. What are the versions of your software? Maybe you just need to update them or update them in a particular order to get this to work.

Alan Lantz
SysAdmin
City of Rogers, AR

Martin Brice Members

Martin Brice
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 08:35 AM

Whoa, this is interesting; I am running Vista Home Premium and Chrome 6.0.472.xx; not sure about the Citrix plugin version but should be current - downloaded it this week. But anyway - even if I run 'wfica32 launch.ica' - it looks like the wfica32 tries to run but then nothing happens .. Could it be the Vista?

Martin Brice Members

Martin Brice
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 08:36 AM

And yes I forgot - using IE the ICA client starts ok...

Alan Lantz Members

Alan Lantz
  • 3,550 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 07:45 PM

Could be Vista, or it could be that I go in and Stupid down Windows (Turn off UAE, Firewall, anything else annoying on the product). I will try at work tomorrow on an XP machine and see how that goes. Don't know if I have a VIsta handy or not.

Alan Lantz
SysAdmin
City of Rogers, AR

CRISTIANO SANTOS Members

CRISTIANO SANTOS
  • 271 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 10:21 PM

Martin,

All you need is save your ICA file and then double click. It's work in my computer very well.
About Chrome can't launch the ICA file is because it isn't a supported browser by Citrix. In Firefox it's work.

;)

Martin Brice Members

Martin Brice
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 04:57 PM

Cristiano,

the problem is that doubleclick does me no good...just as I wrote earlier, not even running "wfica32 launch.ica" does the actually start the Citrix client; so I am wondering - what does?

Nicholas Connolly Citrix Employees

Nicholas Connolly
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 09:10 AM

Hi Martin,

Chrome is an unsupported browser as indicated here:

http://support.citrix.com/proddocs/index.jsp?topic=/web-interface-hardwick/wi-user-requirements-gransden.html

There was some talk of having it included in WI 5.4, but I cannot confirm.

Tim Mcgowan Members

Tim Mcgowan
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 05:59 PM

Running Chrome 7.0.517.41 on Win7 x64 and XenApp Client build 32560 everything worked just fine. I just upgraded to 12.0.3.6 and I can no longer launch anything from Chrome.

It may not be supported but I don't understand why it matters? I always save the file locally and then launch. launch.ica itself doesn't appear to be corrupt.

I think i'll try to downgrade and see if it starts working again.

tim

Tim Mcgowan Members

Tim Mcgowan
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 06:41 PM

So a downgrade to 12.0.3 didn't help but going all the way back to 11.2.0.31560 makes everything perfect.

So for whatever reason Win7 x64 with ICA 11.2.0.31560 and Chrome 7.0.517.41 seems to be a good one.

tim

CRISTIANO SANTOS Members

CRISTIANO SANTOS
  • 271 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 06:43 PM

Tim,

I have the same version of Google Chrome but my XenApp Plugin is 12.0.0.6014, and wall is working fine.

Tim Mcgowan Members

Tim Mcgowan
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 06:47 PM

Hi Cristiano,

I would try but that version of the client gave us so many other headaches that i'm afraid to:)

CRISTIANO SANTOS Members

CRISTIANO SANTOS
  • 271 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 06:53 PM

Hello Tim!

Headaches? Like what? I haven't any problem with this version!

o_O

Tim Mcgowan Members

Tim Mcgowan
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 06:59 PM

Not that we wanted to hijack the thread, but:)

Users couldn't even access WI 5.3 with this client.
Some could and then not log in.

For our published desktops behind a SecureGateway we had some users that claimed the desktop would show up too small and they couldn't maximize or change size.

In general these could be from other things but simply telling them to downgrade to 11.2 or upgrade to 12.0.3 always took care of it. Maybe it was actually fixed by a couple of reboots. Since we had viable clients we just discarded it.

Larry Heier Members

Larry Heier
  • 151 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 05:52 PM

Citrix,

I also asked this a couple times in the past (http://forums.citrix...247690&tstart=0). Can someone let us know if this feature will be coming in WI 5.4 or afterwards?

thanks,
Larry

Sam Jacobs Members

Sam Jacobs
  • 6,297 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 06:05 PM

For those going through an Access Gateway and having issues after upgrading to version 12 of the ICA client, make sure that your STA names begin with the letters *STA*:

_Applications Fail to Start through Access Gateway with ICA Client V12.0_

Larry Heier Members

Larry Heier
  • 151 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 06:06 PM

Hello,

The new version of WI 5.4 and the ICA 12.1 Web client does not allow Google Chrome to work any better then previous versions on a PC. I think I read a statistic that Chrome is approaching 10% of the traffic now. Any update Citrix on when this browser will be supported (other then with Java)?

thanks,
Larry