Photo

Unable to launch your application.... Protocol Driver error

Started by Mark MacDonald , 07 September 2010 - 06:49 PM
24 replies to this topic

Mark MacDonald Members

Mark MacDonald
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 06:49 PM

We have XenApp 6 on 2008R2 and it was working until a few days ago. Opening any published app in Windows gives this:

"Unable to launch your application. Contact your help desk with the following information: Cannot connect to the Citrix XenApp server. Protocol Driver error."

The strange thing is that the published apps run fine from a linux box Firefox browser using the version 11 plugin.

The Windows desktops with either 11 or 12 plugins / online app give the above error. I was thinking that changing the IP address of the server might have caused it, but it did work for a week before the problem above. I've tried both domain users and local anonymous users with no luck.

This is just a simple single server install with Direct connections. (no Secure Gateway service)
The XTE service is running (and it gives a different error if I disable XTE).

There are some Reliability Server errors (Event ID 103 -in the event log - "an error occured when processing incoming CGP downstream data"). Some postings say that these errors are not a problem but I'm not sure. They seem to have started around the same time as the main problem but can't say for sure on the exact timing.

The published apps are just calc.exe and wordpad.exe.

Any thoughts on what's causing this? It's strange since it runs ok under Linux.

Thanks in advance.
Mark

Jeffrey Combs Citrix Employees

Jeffrey Combs
  • 436 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 07:16 PM

Sounds like you are having a problem with Session Reliability which by default will work on port 2598. You are not seeing the issue on your linux clients because they do not support session reliability and communication is happening on port 1494.

You can start by looking at the XTE logs in Program Files\Citrix\XTE\Logs

How many network cards are running on the server? What account is the XTE service running as? You can try renaming the httpd.conf file in the XTE directory, and restart IMA and XTE.

To validate that it is definitely Session Reliability you can turn it off in a Policy or just add one line to your default.ica file in Web Interface. You can find more info here: http://support.citri...ticle/CTX108439

Helpful Answer

Jarian Gibson Members

Jarian Gibson
  • 6,432 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 07:17 PM

You could try using the Citrix quick launch utility and connecting with session reliability off to see if that is the problem. Download it here http://support.citri...ticle/CTX122536

Helpful Answer

Mark MacDonald Members

Mark MacDonald
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 09:28 PM

Here's some more information:

The server has 1 network card enabled and is running in the current version of Xenserver.

The XTE service is running with the Network Service account.
I tried:
-renaming the httpd.conf file in the XTE directory but it didn't help. (same error)

-to add the CGPAddress= line to the default.ica file in C:\inetpub\wwwroot\Citrix\PNAgent\conf\ but it gives a different error:
"Unable to launch your application. Contact your help desk with the following information: Cannot connect to the Citrix XenApp server.
Networking issues are preventing your connection. Please try again. If the problem exists, please call your help desk."
Deleting the CGPAddress= parameter gives the original Protocol Driver error.

-turned off the firewall on the server. No luck.

-the Quick Launch utility works. The session reliability gets disabled by default when you try to run a published app. The screen settings are a bit off but it works and doesn't give the error message.

-attached is the XTE error log. There is another error message that comes right after teh CGP downstream data message: ap_get_brigade failed.

Mark

Attached Files

Mark MacDonald Members

Mark MacDonald
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 03:53 AM

So far I've reinstalled the server in another VM and it's doing the same thing. If I disable Session Reliability in the Computer Setting Policies in the Delivery Services console, the XTE service won't start and it won't run the published app.
The published app still gives the Protocol Driver error when Session Reliability is turned back on.

The Citrix QuickLaunch works perfectly though. It's worrying that this system was working normally and then decided to stop though.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the Version 12 client also. No luck.
Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Mark

Mark MacDonald Members

Mark MacDonald
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 04:10 AM

I was able to turn off Session Reliability in the Policies and start the XTE service. I removed the policies and just added the Session Reliability and changed it to Prohibited.
(Then restarted IMA then XTE services.)

The published app doesn't run though.
It gives this error:

"Unable to launch your application. Contact your help desk with the following information: Cannot connect to the XenApp server. Network issues are preventing your connection. Please try again. If the problem persists, please call your help desk"

Mark

Venkata Sudhakar Members

Venkata Sudhakar
  • 60 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 04:27 AM

Hi ,
Try disabling the ICA-TCP protocol and Re-enable it back ..That worked for me ..for the same issue

Thanks

Mark MacDonald Members

Mark MacDonald
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 04:25 PM

No luck disabling/re-enabling the ICA-TCP connection in Server Manager/RD Session Host Config:
Turning it off/on - still gives Protocol Driver Error
Turned it off- restarted IMA/XTE services. Turned it on- restarted both services. Still the same error.

However - it's getting interesting now: in the ICA-TCP properties if I click on the Network Adapter tab I get an popup error message saying:
"Remote Desktop Session Host Configuration tool is not able to obtain the properties for this connection. The connection has either been deleted or the internal state of this connection has been corrupted. Please close all property pages, and select refresh from the menu."

The other install I have that's acting up is doing the same thing. The VM is set up in XenServer 5.6. I've installed the Xenserver tools on the second VM but it still give the Protocol driver error and now both the ICA-TCP and RDP-Tcp network tabs give the above popup error message.
It seems that this is a possible cause of the problem. Any thoughts?

Mark MacDonald Members

Mark MacDonald
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 04:31 PM

The main problem seems to be the Version 12 Online Plug-in wanting to always user Session Reliability. Is there any way to disable it from the client side?
The QuickLaunch tool has been working fine because it disables Session Reliability.

Mark

Mark MacDonald Members

Mark MacDonald
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 08:46 PM

Here's an update on trying to fix this.

First, I'd like to thank Jarian for mentioning QuickLaunch. That's an extremely handy app.

I've done a reinstall of XenApp in another clean Win2k8 VM. This time installing the XenServer tools first so that the PV network drivers are installed before installing XenApp.
I can see the IP address of the server in the main Network tab in XenCenter where it wasn't showing up before. I've disabled all the network adapters except one.
After reinstalling XenApp 6, the situation is unchanged.

I found another thread describing the CtxICACfg.exe utility: threadID=258036 That thread exactly describes the same problem for ICA-TCP but there's no resolution to it.

That utility works better than the Properties in the Server Manager....RD Session Host Config window for ICA-TCP. It gives the "All Network adapters..." option and lets me select the individual card. Selecting the card and saving the setting doesn't help though. It also crashes the MMC for Server manager when I go back in to look at the Network tab in the RD Session Host Config for ICA-TCP.

I'm pretty sure that the Protocol Driver error and the inability for the client it to work with Session Reliability has something to do with the ICA-TCP problem but so far no luck at fixing it.

Mark

Mark MacDonald Members

Mark MacDonald
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 04:14 PM

The next step is to check things out at a lower level. I'm thinking it could be a problem with the configuration or driver being used in XenServer. I had a converted Linux VM not able to display its Network manager window previously. (a clean install of it worked ok though)

Chris Hague Members

Chris Hague
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 02:33 PM

Hi there,

We are seeing this exact same issue. Albeit intermittantly with no apparent pattern to the failed logons.

Has anyone resolved this issue yet?

Mark MacDonald Members

Mark MacDonald
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 11:41 PM

No solution yet. We're still looking into it.
My hunch is that it's something to do with the XenServer network drivers.

Mark

Hamish Ahern Members

Hamish Ahern
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 01:46 AM

I too have this bug... I get this message for all my applications.

Unable to launch your application. Contact your help desk with the following information: Cannot connect to the Citrix XenApp server. Protocol Driver error.

The applications launch fine from the web interface. but not from the client.
these are my shortcuts:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Citrix\ICA Client\pnagent.exe" /CitrixShortcut: (2) /QLaunch "ZIL:MS Word - CTX"
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Citrix\ICA Client\pnagent.exe" /CitrixShortcut: (2) /QLaunch "ZIL:MS Access - CTX"

anybody with a fix for this?

Edited by: Hamish Ahern on 25/10/2010 22:01

Roger Riggs Members

Roger Riggs
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 09:14 AM

Don't know if it helps but I had a similar problem and found it was my anti-virus software (Kaspersky) that had done an update on the client and then decided that the network was nolonger trusted, once changed to trusted network everything started working again.

Gertjan Jongeneel Members

Gertjan Jongeneel
  • 153 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 09:48 PM

This problem is solved by applying hotfix http://support.citri...ticle/CTX127269 first). This problem should only occur with servers that are multihomed.

Sam Buck Members

Sam Buck
  • 83 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 08:51 PM

What are the hotfix names. When I select the links, I get "The current user is unauthorized to view this content".

Jarian Gibson Members

Jarian Gibson
  • 6,432 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:04 PM

Sam you will have to contact your Citrix partner and have them get that hotfix for you or open a case with Citrix.

Sam Buck Members

Sam Buck
  • 83 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 01:36 PM

I understand that, but I was wondering if I already had that hotfix installed already or not.

I was thinking that the Hotfix is XA600W2K8R2X64040. But I just wanted confirmation.

Citrix Administrators Members

Citrix Administrators
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 02:39 AM

My issue was that the URL I typed did not match the URL of the SSL certificate assigned to RDP. Corrected that and this very issue went away! No other changes were needed.

Regards,

John Babbitt
Systems Administrator
Ashland Support Group