Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Errors occurred when using "SERVERNAME" in the discovery process

Christophe Beaugrand

Question

Hi,

I created a new custom Administrator in my farm and when I launch the discovery process I get the message
An unexpected error occurred. Check that the server name is correct, that the server is on, that Citrix XenApp is installed on this server, and that the Citrix MFCOM Service is running.

I installed Network COM+ on all my server.

If I put my administrator with view only or full admin I works but custom with :
View Published Applications an content and everything check in sessions and same thing in server that host my application It doesn't work.

Help, I'm beginning crazy

Thanks

Christophe

• Like 2

Hello,

I, too, am having a similar problem, although much earlier in the process. This is a brand new installation of Win 2008 R2, complete with all patches. Brand new XenApp 6.0 installation connected to fresh SQL Server 2005 instance on a remove 2003 server.

XenApp install cleanly. Upon first launch of the Delivery Services Console I am prompted to "Configure and Run Discovery". The Console is running on the local XenApp server.

I have tried:
* "Add Local Computer"
* using FQDN
* using IP address
* logeed in as local admin
* logged in as domain admin
in all combinations, I get the error mentioned in the thread. I have installed and configured COM+ in the Application Server role. I have also tried dropping the Windows firewall completely. No dice.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I am very new to Citrix and sure could use the help...

I should also add:

When I click on the error, the "Details" I get are: "An unexpected error occurred. Check that the server name is correct, that the server is on, that Citrix XenApp is installed on this server, and that the Citrix MFCOM Service is running."

MFCOM is running.

Also, I am not seeing anything useful in Event Viewer. I have not been able to locate a Citrix log.

Thanks again....

Edited by: Ron Skopitz on Apr 15, 2010 1:58 PM

Thanks for the feedback!!

Yes, the Server Role Manager shows as "Configured". In fact, it was the Role Manager which automatically launched the "Delivery Services Console" once I had completed the configuration.

I don't seem to have an Access Management Console anywhere - not under Program Files or Program Files (x86). I went back to the DVD and asked it to install Management Consoles and it said all consoles had been installed. Not that it matters, since I don't yet have a farm to add administrators to. :)

Any ideas? Thanks again!!

OK, my bad. Such a n00b!!

I was under the impression that XenApp had been installed on this server as a domain admin user, but apparently my sysadmin used the actual domain admin account.

Logged in with THE domain admin account and discovery worked like a champ. Sorry to waste anyone's time.

Thank you for your assistance!!

• Like 1

Here is my solution:

1. I did not need to change any service accounts from Network Service to Local. In my opinion, do not ever change these if you can help it.
2. I did not have to change any permissions on DCOM. Half the time I dont have the DCOM folders that documentation is talking about (this goes back to 4.0 and older).
3. Make sure: your a local admin, your ctx_configmgr is a local admin.

My problem was that my SQL admin migrated the SQL server to Hyper-V, something happened and he had to make an educated guess as to what account was the DBO of my XenApp database. He was wrong. So somewhere in the XenApp install it was trying to communicate XML with the console using the database account that I create the farm with. Since my SQL database was using the wrong DBO it was not working. As soon as he changed the DBO, it worked. I did not have to logon locally as the install account.

So far it looks like this version of Citrix is awsome. My printer drivers are even working and not consuming my processor. Thanks Citrix for getting that corrected.

d

After installing and configuring XA6 on WS2008R2 with the Windows Firewall turned on, I cannot successfully run a discovery in the Citrix Delivery Services Console. If I turn off the Windows Firewall, I can successfully run a discovery in the Citrix Delivery Services Console. If I then turn the Windows Firewall back on, the CDSC still works until I restart the server. After the server restarts, the CDSC discovery will fail until I turn off the Windows Firewall. Any ideas?

Oh, one last item. I'm running the CDSC locally on the XA6 servers. I have not yet tried to run it from a remote admin computer. Baby steps...

same problem, but check this out,
>disable nic network connection -> Citrix Delivery Services Console gets discovery "errors occured...", and fails
>enalbe nic network connection -> Citrix Delivery Services Console is fine

Citrix: Why is internet access required? (I assume it is .net authenticode related... but man, give us a heads up and explanation, and show it in "System Requirements"... or SOMETHING)

• Like 1

I was having the exact same issue but it's resolved now. Here's what I changed and confirmed to make it work.

1. I did NOT add the users to the "Distributed COM Users" group.
2. I did NOT change DCOM permissions.
3. I made sure the Custom Admin permissions included all "View Published Applications and Content" starting at the top level all the way down to my target folder. That means you have to grant permissions all the way up the folder structure.
4. I made sure that "View Server Information" was checked, again all the way up the folder structure.
5. I selected the target folder permissions for the apps and servers I wanted to give the user access to. In my case it was only one Application and one Server folder.
6. During Discovery the user selected "Add Local Machine"

By doing these things the user was able to run discovery successfully. Hope it helps.

Mario

Edited by: Mario LaTragna on Sep 24, 2010 10:26 AM

• Like 3

As stated in another post, Go into your active directory and create a citrix management group. Add accounts to that. go back into Citrix Discovery Service with the account you originally installed Xenapps 6 with and add that AD group(citrix management group) with full admin rights or what ever. Then any account in that AD group will gain access.

Just to add to what Mario said. You will get the discovery error if you've selected options on a sub folder, but they are not selected on the folder above it.

e.g. Applications\MyApps\Office

If the Office subfolder has Sessions and Published Applications selected, but the MyApps folder does not, you will get the error. The settings have to be applied on the uppermost folders and applied downwards.

• Like 1

I have this problem for quite a long time now, PS4.5 on Windows 2003 x64. Suddenly some servers will not be able to finish the discovery.

Today I made changes to the group membership again. The group is a custom Citrix Administrator. And then none of the servers can finish the discovery. MFCOM is running, restarting IMA and MFCOM services are not working. I

Eventually I reapplied the permissions from top folder to subfolders then all servers work now. I guess the group membership change caused the issue and the permissions need to be reapplied.

Same error man, please I need help...

Hello Guys,

I need help. I've built XenApp 6 servers about 30 times...no issues! Suddenly I'm getting these errors when running discovery..
This is a brand new installation of Win 2008 R2, No Patches. Brand new XenApp 6.0 installation connected to fresh SQL Server 2005 instance on a remote 2003 server.

XenApp install cleanly. Upon first launch of the Delivery Services Console I am prompted to "Configure and Run Discovery" it returns "Errors occurred when using servername in the discovery process"

When I click on the error, the "Details" I get are: "An unexpected error occurred. Check that the server name is correct, that the server is on, that Citrix XenApp is installed on this server, and that the Citrix MFCOM Service is running"

MFCOM, IMA are running.