XenServer Tools on Linux without paravirtualized kernel

Started by Dennis Müller , 02 February 2010 - 07:21 AM
3 replies to this topic

Dennis Müller Members

Dennis Müller
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 07:21 AM

Hello,

Is it possible to install the XenServer Tools (to live-migrate the machines) on a Linux (Ubuntu 9.10) HVM _without_ install PV xen kernels in the machine?

I installed the xe-guest-utilities debian-package, but the xen-center doesn't registered the install.

Thanks.

Greetings from Germany

Dennis

Konrad Ruess Members

Konrad Ruess
  • 2,808 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 09:39 AM

Hallo Dennis

No, unfortunately, there is no way to add the tools to a HVM linux guest.

But Ubuntu is ready to be paravitualized - I've got several running on 8.04 LTS with tools installed and ready to be migrated...

Migration Guide

BfN, Konrad

James Cannon Citrix Employees

James Cannon
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 08:42 PM

Hi Dennis,

The XenTools for Linux only work with the PV-enabled kernel. When installing a Linux VM, one needs to use the template, which swaps in a xen kernel during the install. XenTools for Linux allow for imporved communication with dom 0. XenTools for Windows, on the other hand, allow for paravirtualization via device drivers.

There is a blog on Citrix about converting Ubuntu to xen.

Regards,
James Cannon

Konrad Ruess Members

Konrad Ruess
  • 2,808 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 07:16 AM

Hi James,

The migration guide I refered to is actually pointing to Anil's blog... :-)

Do you think that there will be a XenTools version in future, which will be installable on HVM linux? I would really like that tool as there are linux systems which cannot be simply be PV'ed as a xen enabled kernel is not available. Loosing some performance might be okay, but not being able to migrate / shutdown these guests is quite a loss in functionality.

BfN, Konrad