Photo

Novell client in XenDesktop VDI sessions

Started by Mark Johnstone , 20 January 2010 - 12:00 PM
27 replies to this topic

Mark Johnstone Members

Mark Johnstone
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:00 PM

I am evaluating XenDesktop 4, with Windows 7 desktops, both VDI and streamed.

The image is Windows 7, with virtual desktop agent and Novell client 2 sp1 for vista/2008. WITHOUT the virtual desktop agent installed, the default authentication is the Novell login, and when you login to Novell it also automatically logs you into the Windows domain (as long as passwords match). This is normal behaviour with Windows/Novell, and is exactly what I want to happen.

As soon as I install the Citrix virtual desktop agent (v4.0.4522), the default authentication becomes Windows, and you then need to authenticate to Novell seperately, i.e. you have to login twice - once to Windows domain and once to Novell eDirectory. My users will not accept having to authenticate twice..

Is there any way of setting it back to default to Novell login with automatic authentication to Windows (i.e. same as before the virtual desktop agent ws installed)?

Please don't suggest autoadminlogon as I don't want to give users admin rights. Re-installing the Novell client doesn't fix it either.

I assume that the installation of the virtual desktop agent does something to the Windows 7 credential providers. Maybe there is a registry setting to set the default back to Novell credential provider?

Any help would be much appreciated.

OSCAR MOK Members

OSCAR MOK
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:34 PM

Mark

We had a similar issue where we are running Xendesktop 3 and XP but we have Novell Client v4.91 installed.

This is what we did. After installing the XenDesktop agent, prior rebooting the pc, change the registry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

GinaDLL = C:\Program Files\Citrix\ICAService\picaGina.dll <-- This is the XenDesktop Agent GINA
CtxGinaDLL = NWGINA.DLL <--- This is the Netware GINA

Reboot the PC.

Hope it helps.

Mark Johnstone Members

Mark Johnstone
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:40 PM

Thanks for replying, but unfortunately this won't work for me as I am using Windows 7. Windows Vista/7 doesn't use GINA - it uses the new credential provider architecture instead.

Michael Rock Citrix Employees

Michael Rock
  • 574 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 12:31 PM

Hi Mark,

Have a look here for Novell support:

* http://community.cit...pageId=99418353

~Michael

Willem Jan ter Veld Members

Willem Jan ter Veld
  • 61 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 12:04 PM

Hi..

We have the exact same issue.!!
Did anybody solve this yet?

Willem Jan

Sakthi Ganesh Citrix Employees

Sakthi Ganesh
  • 546 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 12:39 PM

Mark,

Can you try to install VDA first and then the Novell client?

Sakthi

Willem Jan ter Veld
  • 61 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 02:11 PM

Hi,

Just tried your suggestion.. But with no result.
I removed the Novell Client and the VDI client.
Rebooted the machine.

Installed the VDI Agent.
Installed the Novell Client.
Reboot.

PC is registering with the delivery controller. But still the same problem.
The user logs in to the AD, but not in the eDirectory.???

any other suggestions?
I think it has to do with the Credential Provider. This gets set back to Winodws instead of Novell.

Edited by: willem jan ter Veld on 2-jun-2010 10:11

Sakthi Ganesh
  • 546 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 05:49 AM

Hi Wilem,

The credential provider information is stored under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication key. So comparing this key before and after installing VDA might show us if anything changes here. Can I download the Novell client from their website? If it is available for the general public, please share the link with me.

Sakthi

Sakthi Ganesh
  • 546 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:24 AM

Hi Wilem,

Can you try setting the option as shown in the attachment to ON and see if that helps?

Sakthi

Attached Files

Willem Jan ter Veld
  • 61 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 12:20 PM

Sakthi

I allready found this setting and tried it. But it still does not work? :-(
Any sugesstions?

Willem Jan

Edited by: WILEM JAN TER VELD on 4-jun-2010 3:04

Sakthi Ganesh
  • 546 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 07:36 AM

Hi Wilem,

I could not completely test this scenario as I do not have Novell edirectory in my lab setup. I have found a way to get back the Novell login prompt. Rename the file named PicaCredentialProvider.dll to PicaCredentialProvider.old and reboot the box once (Just logoff will also do.. file is present under c:\program files\Citrix\ICA Service). Now when you connect to the desktop you will see the Novell prompt. Please test this and let us know if it works fine.

Regards,
Sakthi

rene van steenis Members

rene van steenis
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 11:09 AM

Sakthi,

that works! Thanx very much for digging in...

I work with Willem on this case.

I we discover more to know then we will post it here.

Regards,
René van Steenis

RealOpen IT

Sakthi Ganesh
  • 546 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 11:18 AM

In my testing so far, reconnecting to disconnected sessions do not work. Renaming picacredentialprovider.dll is not a solution. This just proves that we may have to modify the behavior for this module in the Novell environment. I will do some more reseach and get back to you when I find resolution/work around for this problem. In the mean time, can you please test reconnecting to disconnected session and confirm the behavior? Also, information about any other issues that you see will be useful in finding a solution for this.

-Sakthi

rene van steenis Members

rene van steenis
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 12:16 PM

Sakthi,

unfortunatedly when I rename the dll the Delivery Controller immediately changes the workstation status to Unassigned... So, I cannot use the workstation anymore.

When I rename it back and press Refresh the workstation is Idle again.

So, what can we do next?

René

Willem Jan ter Veld
  • 61 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:28 AM

Any suggestions?
I installed the latest Agent update again but still no luck...

Sakthi Ganesh
  • 546 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 07:03 AM

Hi all,

I am sorry that it took a while to find out what was going on. It turns out that the current version of Xendesktop design does not support 3rd party credential providers. So, there are no workarounds/resolutions for Novel Client on Windows 7 at this point. If we have a strong business case, we may be able to file for a feature enhancement request.

Sorry folks.. could not be of much help this time.

- Sakthi

Mark Johnstone Members

Mark Johnstone
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:03 AM

Sakthi

Thanks for the information.

At the time I started this thread I was evaluating XenDesktop as a potential desktop solution for the university I work for. As I am now busy evaluating other desktop options I haven't contributed to this discussion any further, but have been watching with interest.

I believe there a quite a few organisations around which, like the university I work for, have a long established and reliable Novell directory and storage architecture. If Citrix have no plans to support the Novell client, this could make XenDesktop unsuitable for many Novell customers. I realise that there are work arounds to lack of Novell client support, such as Web DAV/NetStorage/iFolder etc, but these don't suit every organisation.

I'm still not sure whether we will end up using Citrix here, as I am also evaluating other options such as remote desktop services, locked down local desktops, and app-v, but lack of Novell support would definitely be considered a negative when comparing Citrix VDI against other options. If Citrix could issue a definitive statement regarding future Novell support it would be much appreciated.

Thanks again for your research.

Willem Jan ter Veld
  • 61 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 11:49 AM

SOLVED!!!

There is a new IR Patch for the novell client that solves this problem!
The option "Login with Non-Novell Credential Provider" now works!

It's not a clean fix, but it works.. :-)

Sakthi Ganesh
  • 546 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 11:50 AM

Great! Atleast we have a workaround for using both Novell and VDA at the same time.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
Sakthi

Sakthi Ganesh
  • 546 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 12:10 PM

Hi Wilem,

Can you please post the link for the patch? It will be useful for other forum users.

-Sakthi