Photo

concentr.exe - Startup process under HKLM\...Run

Started by Sam Ellison , 04 December 2009 - 06:30 PM
5 replies to this topic

Sam Ellison Members

Sam Ellison
  • 76 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 06:30 PM

I just installed the new 11.2 XenApp client (online/web version) and noticed it placed a startup process under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Current Version\Run

The value is called "ConnectionCenter" and points here: "C:\Program Files\Citrix\ICA Client\concentr.exe" /startup

Is this process necessary? What function does it provide and does it need to run at startup?

Thanks

Christopher Eichorn Members

Christopher Eichorn
  • 69 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 05:09 PM

An answer to this would be helpful. I realize what the process is, but again, why is it necessary at startup?

Thanks!
Chris

Aaron Walrath Members

Aaron Walrath
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 03:47 AM

Hi Sam -

It is my experience that the Connection Center (concentr.exe) does not need to be running for the XenApp Online Plugin Client to make connections to XenApp servers. The Connection Center interface can be found in the right click menu of the XenApp taskbar icon (when you are connected to a XenApp server) and provides you with information on the servers and applications the XenApp client is connected to. You can disable the process from the starting with msconfig, but I have found sometimes a new entry is created under HKLM and it runs on startup again. You may need to change the file's permission if you want to permanently disable it from starting.

Aaron Walrath
http://aaronwalrath.wordpress.com

Edited by: Aaron Walrath on Jun 2, 2010 8:49 PM

Wes Lazara Members

Wes Lazara
  • 458 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 06:00 AM

We are using receiver to push out plugin version 12. It puts the concentr.exe /startup in the registry, but this doesn't seem to do anything. When we pull up Plugin Status within receiver, Connection Center is greyed out. If I go and run contentr.exe manually, the link within receiver activates and we can use it to open up CC.

This seems to indicate that the reg entry is pointless as the /startup flag seems to render the process useless? Training our users to go run concentr.exe manually will be a real pain... Is there a way we can fix this and make it so CC is available from the start?

Thanks,
Wes

Ajith Antony Members

Ajith Antony
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 03:36 AM

It seems that there can be only one instance of concentr.exe running. If it is started with the /startup flag, then it just hides the window initially. If you try to start another one, then rather than a new process, the original one suddenly gets a visible window. If you close the connections center, then the process lives, but now has no windows again.

So unless one were to manually kill the process, it will always be there once it has been started. Having it start hidden with startup just might be a performance boost to opening it the first time.

As far as the connections center link deactivating, I have not seen that happen in my environment.

Citrix online plugin 12.1.0.30
Citrix Receiver 2.0.38007.0
WinXP

Ajith Antony Members

Ajith Antony
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 03:51 AM

FWIW, The connection center is not available by "right-click" for the XenDesktop client (CDViewer.exe), as it is for the regular XenApp wfica32.exe client.