Import ISO image to Xenserver

Started by kovalan Peria Malek , 13 August 2009 - 07:46 AM
13 replies to this topic

kovalan Peria Malek Members

kovalan Peria Malek
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:46 AM

Good Day Guru's,

I have problem how to export the iso image files to Xenserver.

I have store the iso image file in my external Hard disk. How i can import this files form my hard disk to xenserver local storage.

Please advice me how to go about, i been trying for 4 days to up the xenserver and now i stuck to create a VMs cause i dont knw the way to import the iso image file.

Erik Bakker Members

Erik Bakker
  • 158 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:48 AM

you dont... there is no option to safe ISO files on de localSR. they must be mounted from a pc/laptop or from a running VM inside xenserver with a iso share.

Helpful Answer

MOHAMMED KHAWAJA Members

MOHAMMED KHAWAJA
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 05:44 PM

My recommendation would be install NFS on a server share, connect that share in XenServer as ISO SR and then you could perform your OS installs or mount ISO as a CD-ROM for your VMs. Let me know if you need help in creating a NFS share or how to added it as a SR in XenServer.

MOHAMMED KHAWAJA Members

MOHAMMED KHAWAJA
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 04:59 PM

Probably the easiest and the best solution would be to create a share on Windows server and mount the CIFS as ISO repository.

William Scott Members

William Scott
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 04:13 AM

> {quote:title=kovalan wrote:}{quote}
> Good Day Guru's,
>
>
>
> I have store the iso image file in my external Hard disk. How i can import this files form my hard disk to xenserver local storage.
>

http://forums.citrix.com/thread.jspa?threadID=249367

Then WinSCP to Xenserver and copy the iso image across.

James Cannon Citrix Employees

James Cannon
  • 2,330 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 06:21 PM

Hi kovalan,

Your Local SR is by default LVM-based, unless you had removed it and created an EXT file-based SR in its place. LVM is a raw block device with logical volumes containing your Virtual Disk Images (VDIs). If you copied an ISO to your 1st patrition, where the domain 0 VM resides, care must be taken not to fill its disk area as this will halt your XenServer.

Regards,
James Cannon

Peter Maier Members

Peter Maier
  • 91 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 01:23 PM

Okay ... lets see, what I did on ISO Storage am Xenserver anlegen und ISOs hinterlegen :-)

1. Make sure you have ssh access to your Xenserver.
2. Download and install WinSCP on a windows machine or use native scp support on a linux box.
3. Check if the folder “/var/opt/xen/iso_import”* exists. If not, you can create it using *mkdir -p /var/opt/xen/iso_import
4. Copy your ISO-file to /var/opt/xen/iso_import with your scp-software (like WinSCP, Veeam Backup and FastSCP, ...)
5. Create a repositoriy:
xe sr-create name-label="MyISORepository" type=iso device-config:location=/var/opt/xen/iso_import/ device-config:legacy_mode=true content-type=iso
That should bring up a new repository in your XenCenter overview.

One issue:
If you add new ISOs later, it is possible that these ISOs don't show up in your repo.
Just rightclick the existing repo (MyISORepository*) in Xencenter and choose *"Forget"
After that, you just have to repeat the command above
xe sr-create name-label="MyISORepository" type=iso device-config:location=/var/opt/xen/iso_import/ device-config:legacy_mode=true content-type=iso

Then your ISOs should be displayed in the repo.

Hope it helps ...

Pete

James Cannon Citrix Employees

James Cannon
  • 2,330 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 03:31 PM

Hi Peter,

One way to refresh your ISO repository is to do a pbd-unplug and a pbd-plug

Regards,
James Cannon

Peter KOchanek Members

Peter KOchanek
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 04:06 PM

Issue is resolved.. Thanks for your help

Edited by: Peter Kochanek on Oct 20, 2009 12:07 PM

Edited by: Peter Kochanek on Oct 20, 2009 12:08 PM

Peter Maier Members

Peter Maier
  • 91 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 07:12 AM

Hello James,

thanks for that tip. I will try that next time.

Time for my first business coffee now :-)

Peter

Andrew Stuckey Members

Andrew Stuckey
  • 40 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 12:18 PM

Thanks for this post.

It was perfect for the Lab environemnt (XenServer on a laptop)

With such big disks available, having external storage for a couple of ISO's did not make sense. And neither did stealing CPU/Memory for a file sharing VM.

Regards
Andrew Stuckey

Tim Bushart Members

Tim Bushart
  • 166 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 01:31 AM

I did this and it works great, however now I get an error message when I try to copy more than 3 isos:
File system on control domain full.

But I have 128GB free on my xenserver.
How can I use more space?

CRISTIANO SANTOS Members

CRISTIANO SANTOS
  • 271 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 02:22 AM

Tim,

The best way I know is install a VM into your XenServer and use it for Shared ISO Storage. You can install one VM Linux Demo, and inside this use this VM to share all ISOs to all VMs.

I wrote in my blog a how-to with a step-by-step very easy :

http://tapiocavirtual.wordpress.com/2010/09/19/tutorial-citrix-xenserver-criando-repositrio-iso/

Let me know if you liked!

:)

Samuel Ehrlich Members

Samuel Ehrlich
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:21 PM

you can load an ISO from your local machine running xencenter to the xenserver's DVD drive? or is this not possible