Ubuntu 9.04 (jaunty) template release.

Started by Yacine KHEDDACHE , 02 June 2009 - 04:16 PM
15 replies to this topic

Yacine KHEDDACHE Members

Yacine KHEDDACHE
  • 107 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 04:16 PM

Hello,

For those who would like to use ubuntu jaunty in PV mode, you can give a try to the templates we released (i386 and amd64) :
ftp://ftp.alyseo.com/pub/partners/XenServer/Templates/

Tested on XS5, work fine for us but use at your own risk (no Citrix support).
Please check the README file for further informations.

Will appreciate your feedback/comments/issues.

Regards,
Yacine.

Michael Clarke Members

Michael Clarke
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:16 PM

Hey, THANKS! :)

Steve Winecki Members

Steve Winecki
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 01:13 AM

I would really like to try this tempate but the link seems to be down. Can you put it back up, or can someone send me the file (or another link?)

Thank you!
Steve

Yacine KHEDDACHE Members

Yacine KHEDDACHE
  • 107 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 10:16 AM

Steve,

Our ftp site is up and running (we did not noticed any outage), please email to support [AT] alyseo.com if you still have some issues to access it.

Regards,
Yacine.

Hillel Seltzer Members

Hillel Seltzer
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 08:05 PM

Thanks! Just imported your template in XenServer 5.5 and started up a Jaunty guest. A little gotcha for us in the USA is to remember to change all of the "fr." server names in /etc/apt/sources.list to "us." Works beautifully.

Just one issue: XenCenter 5.5 shoes the virtualization state as "Tools out of date (version 5.0 installed)." Is there a way to quickly upgrade the Xen tools to 5.5 without breaking anything?

Thanks.
---Hillel

Yacine KHEDDACHE Members

Yacine KHEDDACHE
  • 107 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 12:39 PM

Hillel,

You are right for the apt source file as you noticed we are located in France ;-)

Regarding XS5.5 :
These templates have been done on and for XS5.0, if you would like to deploy them
on XS5.5 and to avoid XenCenter 5.5 warning "Tools out of date (version 5.0 installed)." :
Xencenter / Console : select xs-tools.iso as DVD Drive
Mount it as root : mount /dev/xvdd /mnt
cd /mnt/Linux/
dpkg -i xe-guest-utilities_5.5.0-458_i386.deb
or
dpkg -i xe-guest-utilities_5.5.0-458_amd64.deb (for the 64bits version)

README file as been updated with points above :
ftp://ftp.alyseo.com/pub/partners/XenServer/Templates/README

Regards,
Yacine

Hillel Seltzer Members

Hillel Seltzer
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 06:39 PM

Yacine,

Thanks. I found that file before, just was not sure if it would not mess other things up. The tools upgrade seems to have worked.

Just ran into one problem, though:

Any attempt to connect the physical DVD drive on the host to the Jaunty VM while there is no CD or DVD in the drive results in a stack trace on the console. Try to then set the DVD drive to empty, and any more instructions from XenCenter to the VM will just time out. Even forcing the VM down from XenCenter would just get stuck. I had to reboot the entire host to then take off the connection to the DVD drive before powering the VM up again. Connecting the internal ISO of the Xen tools disk as the VM's DVD drive did not cause any problems, and it seems to work properly when there is a valid disk in the DVD drive. This occurred both with Xen tools 5.0 and after upgrading Xen Tools to 5.5.

You might think, why does this matter? Just don't select the host DVD drive for the VM when no DVD is in the drive? Well, it first happened by accident when removing the Xen tools ISO from the VM's DVD drive. It is not that difficult to click on the host DVD drive in the drop down box over the VM console in XenCenter before clicking on "<empty>". I would not want an operator to be able to take down a server by accident that easily. Another scenario is when a bad CD or DVD is put into the drive, and the drive cannot read it. You really cannot know when a disc is not going to work in a drive until you try it. Should that lock the VM enough to require the entire host to reboot?

This is with XenServer 5.5. Can you check if you can pass the empty physical host's DVD drive to the Jaunty VM in XS5?

Anyone else having the same problem with a VM OS on the officially approved template list?

Thanks.
---Hillel

Yacine KHEDDACHE Members

Yacine KHEDDACHE
  • 107 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 11:36 AM

Hillel,

As our servers do not have any CD/DVD we neither noticed this point... (we are using an NFS ISO lib instead of CD or DVD). Thank you for this report.

We have added an USB CDROM on a trial box and have been able to do some tests :

So, if we select the physical DVD drive without any CD/DVD inside we have a stack trace on the console but VM is still running without any issues (tested in XS5.5).

If we insert a CD/DVD : we can not mount it -> "mount: special device /dev/xvdd does not exist"
But if we set it back to empty then the VM freeze : see logs, it hold on "Setting DVD Drive on VM as empty".

So it look like you have discovered a bug : physical DVD is not usable on templates we released.
Commands below will allow you to use a CD/DVD (/dev/xvdd issue) :

$ cat >> /etc/modules
isofs
CTRL-D
$ reboot

But it did not solved the second issue (most important), we did not find the root cause so far, let us know if you have been able to work on it.

PS: We have tested on a Debian Etch VM and all if working fine.

Regards,
Yacine

Romer Ventura Members

Romer Ventura
  • 161 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 02:01 PM

anyone having problems accessing the FTP or downloading the file..?

Thanks

Thomas Christensen Members

Thomas Christensen
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 09:28 AM

Hi there
Please help with getting VNC and Ubuntu GUI up and running....

I tried different guide lines.. But every time i connect via VNC, i end up with a grey screen with a black cross as mouse cursor.

I am quite new to Linux. complete guide to this templade would be nice.

Best Regards
Thomas Christensen

Denmark.

Torsten Rehn Members

Torsten Rehn
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 01:15 PM

Thanks for sharing!

Here are some modifications I use in our in-house template:

root@jaunty:/etc/apt/sources.list.d# cat citrix.list debian.list
deb http://updates.vmd.c...r/5.5.0/debian/ lenny main
deb-src http://updates.vmd.c...r/5.5.0/debian/ lenny main
deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian stable main
deb http://security.debian.org stable main

root@jaunty:/etc/apt# cat preferences
Package: *
Pin: release a=jaunty
Pin-Priority: 9000

Package: *
Pin: release a=stable
Pin-Priority: -10

Package: linux-image-*
Pin: release a=stable
Pin-Priority: 9001

I'm not sure if the APT stuff is 100% correct, but it seems to work. By adding the debian and citrix repos one should get security updates for the kernel and XenTools.

Hillel Seltzer Members

Hillel Seltzer
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 10:01 PM

Yacine,

Just to be clear, you can use a CD/DVD. You just have to make sure that it is loaded in the physical drive before you map the physical drive to the VM's DVD drive. Then everything works properly. It is accidentally clicking on the physical drive in the DVD drive drop-down box above the console in XenCenter while the drive really is empty that can seriously mess things up.

You will notice that once the task of switching the VM DVD drive back to empty locks, no other command will work from XenCenter to the VM. You cannot even shut the guest down or power it back up.

---Hillel

Jorge Quiambao Members

Jorge Quiambao
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 02:39 AM

Hi Yacine,

Got an available template for Ubuntu Server 9.10 already?

Yacine KHEDDACHE Members

Yacine KHEDDACHE
  • 107 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 09:13 AM

Hi Jorge,

No specific template for 9.10 so far (lack of time...) but did you try to upgrade (dist-upgrade) ?
Please give it a try and keep the community posted ;-)

Regards,
Yacine.

Jorge Quiambao Members

Jorge Quiambao
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 08:39 AM

Hi Yacine,

No I haven't, not even tried your template yet but will try and let everyone know.

By the way, is it possible to use your jaunty template but still partition the disk image on my preference and use the jaunty minimal install (prefer basic install and no GUI/or better yet the server version)?

Thanks!

Yacine KHEDDACHE Members

Yacine KHEDDACHE
  • 107 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:04 AM

Hi Jorge,

Our ubuntu templates are full templates (like Debian Etch provided by Citrix), so you can increase vdisk size on install, add new vdisk... and manage them the way you would like.

Keep in mind you are not going through the install process (minimal install is not possible here) because the .xva file already contain the install we did.

Yacine.