Cannot connect to Citrix XenApp server

Started by dheeresh lodhi , 13 March 2009 - 08:52 AM
15 replies to this topic

dheeresh lodhi Members

dheeresh lodhi
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 08:52 AM

Hi All,

I am getting one error in our citrix 4.5 farm.

Excel is published on many server in our environment however this is not launching on one perticular server while working perfectly fine on all other servers.

We all accessing applications through web access.

I tried to fix this issue by rebooting the server however that didnt help.

error which we get when click on application or excell icon is "Cannot connect to Citrix XenApp server. Protocol driver error."

I have attached error for more clearity.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Regards
Dheeresh Lodhi
SBC Team

Attached Files

raj kantelia Members

raj kantelia
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 10:01 AM

Hi Dheeresh,

can you launch the app directly from the server...?

Raj

James Saunders Members

James Saunders
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 10:33 AM

have you tried this knowledge centre article

http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX911130&searchID=12722845

or this

http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX105793

dheeresh lodhi Members

dheeresh lodhi
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 02:39 PM

Hi Raj,

Thanks for your quick reply!

Yes, application is launching from server directly.

Regards
Dheeresh Lodhi

dheeresh lodhi Members

dheeresh lodhi
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 05:27 PM

Hi James and all,

I got solution from below article

http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX106531&searchID=19577476.

Regards
Dheeresh Lodhi

dheeresh lodhi Members

dheeresh lodhi
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 05:29 PM

We have used below steps of above article and got solution:-

Resolution

1. Verify that the Session Reliability port is reachable. This port is set in the Management Console by default as port 2598 and is configurable. Use the command line utility, Telnet /?.

2. Ensure that the port used by Session Reliability is not being shared by any other service, such as ICA, XML, IIS, or SQL. Use the command line utility, Netstat /?.

3. Ensure there are no Citrix Licensing issues or Product Code mismatches.

4. Ensure the configuration file, httpd.conf, exists under the Citrix\XTE\conf folder

5. Copy C:\Program Files\Citrix\XTE\logs\xte.pid from a good server. Note: When the XTE service is stopped, the XTE.pid file disappears. If permissions on the directory have been restricted, then it is possible that the XTE service will not start as it cannot create the pid file. This file essentially only holds the process ID of the XTE service.

6. Ensure the Citrix XTE service is started.

7. If the Citrix XTE service is started, Citrix may advise that the ICA listener be deleted, the system rebooted, and the listener recreated.

8. As a test, add the account for the XTE service from Network Service to Local System OR change the account for the service to Local System. Check permissions on the C:\Program Files\Citrix\XTE directory make sure that the Network service account has full rights

9. Users were unable to launch published applications if the Session Reliability feature was enabled and an option other than All network adapters with this protocol was configured for the ICA protocol in the Citrix Connection Configuration utility.

This fix introduces support for session reliability even if you limit a protocol to a particular network adapter.

To enable this functionality:

a. Open the file httpd.conf, located in the Program Files\Citrix\Xte\conf folder, in a text editor.

b. Below the line #Citrix_End, add the following line:

CgpSpecifiedIcaLocalAddress <server IP address, for example, 10.8.6.192>

c. Save your changes.

d. Restart the server.

If you have this functionality enabled, assign a static IP to the server or, if you are using DHCP, create a script to automatically update the IP address of CgpSpecifiedIcaLocalAddress in the httpd.conf file. If the IP address of CgpSpecifiedIcaLocalAddress does not match the actual IP address of the server, you receive an error stating that there is no route to the specified subnet address.

kulwinder singh Members

kulwinder singh
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 11:22 AM

Where can i find Session reliability setting in management console.

Bart Smith Members

Bart Smith
  • 269 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 12:28 PM

Open the Properties of the farm in the Access management Console.

Under Farm-Wide you'll see session Relaibility.

kulwinder singh Members

kulwinder singh
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 08:07 AM

Hi,

Regarding points 1 & 2 ,checked session reliability port and is ok. for point 3 even though i got citrix startup license and citrix presentation server platinum license shown in my license console but still getting errror" citrix presentation server cannot contact license server"

Jason Hammerschmidt* Members

Jason Hammerschmidt*
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 02:53 AM

Thread might be a bit old, but just in case, issue was resolved when IE browser had bad proxy settings fixed or WI site had Client Proxy settings set to None (default is to use IE).

Jon McDaniel Members

Jon McDaniel
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 04:27 PM

I am getting the error 'Cannot contact the Citrix XenApp Server. Protocol Driver error.

I get this error if I attempt to launch either Firefox, IE, PowerPoint, Excel or Word. The one thing that is different is if I attempt to launch any of these apps 2 or 3 times it will eventually launch.

Attached Files

Harold Jenkins Members

Harold Jenkins
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 02:57 PM

I am bumping this thread because I have only one server doing this. I just added it to the farm (4.5 R6 W2K3 R2 Ent.). I see the server on the farm, it reports on the farm (I can see me RDP to the server), I can make config changes via the console to that server, all apps launch on the server, there are no errors in the event logs, and if I put another server on that icon the app will launch.

What have I done:
1. I have deleted and re-added the listener.
2. I have manipulated the http.conf file like the above states.
3. I have reinstalled Citrix 3 times.
4. I have unregisted and re-registed the XML port.
5. ICA Access Control does not come into play since I am using 4.5.7 for AG, but the config is set at no restrictions.
6. 2598 port is listening as well as 1494.

Like I said it is just this one server, and it is recently built. The other farm servers have been in play for quite a while now. This error of protocol driver error pops up via the web and PNA.

No matter what I have changed or checked to that server, I get the same result. So call me officially stumped.

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Harold

Esther Francis Members

Esther Francis
  • 52 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:09 AM

Hi

We have setup with Xenapp6 and Xendesktop5 components in our environment . we are able to access apps and desktops using WI on Internet.

But when we tried to access the same Apps and Desktop using Online Plugin(PNAgent) on internet, we are able to launch only Apps but not Desktops. when we try to lanuch desktops its simply throwing an error message which is attached.

Could you please help us in resolving this...

Regards
Rama Chandra Kishore

Attached Files

IVAYLO KRUMOV Members

IVAYLO KRUMOV
  • 73 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 09:03 PM

Hi Ester,
check this link
http://forums.citrix.com/thread.jspa?threadID=269698&tstart=0
I hope this will be helpful.
Ivaylo