HVM is required for this operation message while starting win xp sp2 guest

Started by Srinivas Addagatla , 16 June 2008 - 05:20 PM
20 replies to this topic

Srinivas Addagatla Members

Srinivas Addagatla
  • 64 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 05:20 PM

Hi,

I just started evaluation of XenDesktop and as part of it installed XenServer 4.1 30 day eval and configured the license properly with the 30 day trail file i received from citrix site. I could create a VM selecting win xp sp2 but when i try to start it i get below message

VM could not be started on any host for the following reasons :

HVM is required for this operation.

I installed XenServer on HP ProLiant DL385 G1 server. I verified in BIOS and couldn't find any settings related to virtualization to be enabled but could successfully install and run ESX 3.5 on same hardware. Not really sure what i am missing here but getting stuck here and can't proceed with my eval. Could someone help to know what could cause this issue and how to fix?

Thanks

Rohan Lahiri Members

Rohan Lahiri
  • 307 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 06:26 PM

Dear Srinivas,

I have checked the same on a HP DL-360-G5. Here is where I have found the VT option in the BIOS under Advanced Options-->Processor Options-->Intel Virtualization Technology. Intel VT is required to install Windows Guest.

Regards,
Rohan

Jonathan Thorpe Members

Jonathan Thorpe
  • 979 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 11:08 PM

Hi Srinivas,

Did you receive any warnings while installing XenServer regarding the use of HVM guests (Windows VMs)?

Have you made any changes to the system such as BIOS updates after the installation of XenServer?

Also, do you know what CPU you have installed on this particular system? Keeping in mind that the CPU needs to be both 64-bit (which it obviously is to get you this far) and also have the VT/AMD-V technology in order to run PV guests.

My understanding is that the DL385 is an older server that runs the original AMD Optorons, correct? If that's the case, it may be that the CPU does not support AMD-V and subsequently cannot run Windows guests.

The only reason why VMWare ESX is able to run on this machine is that VMWare performs full hardware emulation and subsequently does not need AMD-V. This imposes considerable overheads, so while it works, its performance will be very limited.

Kind Regards,
Jonathan

Srinivas Addagatla Members

Srinivas Addagatla
  • 64 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 11:26 AM

You are correct Jonathan. Its AMD processor and i don't get an option to set virtualization in BIOS which seems to be a limitation with these processor types but they are definitely not much older. Also i get below message while i install XenServer which i overlooked when i did the installation, seems to be the cause of the issue.

=====================================================
The following problems were found with your hardware:

Hardware virtualization assist support is not available on this system. Either it is not present or is disabled in the system's BIOS. This capability is required to start windows virtual machines.

You may continue with the installation, though xenserver might have limited functionality until you have addressed these problems.
=====================================================

I will anyways check with HP if they can do anything with this hardware else need to look for better Intel processors.

Thanks

Jonathan Thorpe Members

Jonathan Thorpe
  • 979 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 12:34 AM

Hi Srinivas,

Unfortunately, it's unlikely the motherboard will be able to accommodate the VT/AMD-V requirement as it certainly is an older one that may not be able to take a second generation AMD Opteron.

From memory, only the second generation AMD Opterons support AMD-V, which require a board that supports a different socket and DDR-2 RAM.

As far as AMD processors are concerned, anything that supports DDR-2 RAM supports the AMD-V option.

In order to run XenServer with Windows guests, you will most likely require a new motherboard, CPU and DDR-2 RAM, so it may be worthwhile retasking this particular server and using something with a more recent CPU for XenServer.

Kind Regards,
Jonathan

Derek Duroncelet Members

Derek Duroncelet
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 01:21 PM

Hi Jonathan,

I too am getting an error of "HVM is required for this operation" when trying to add a new VM. I'm just installed XenServer 5.5.0, and getting this error when trying to create an XP SP3 VM. I don't see anywhere in the bios of the host machine where HVM can be enabled.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Derek

Kai-Olaf Pieth Members

Kai-Olaf Pieth
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 12:14 PM

You must enable Intel VT in the BIOS Setup, and your CPU / Board must support Intel VT.

But also I have the same error on a supported platform

http://community.citrix.com/citrixready/product/intel+server+system+s5000psl

VT is enabled
CPU has VT Support (Intel Xeon E5335)

dont know what the problem is...

Taiji Saotome Members

Taiji Saotome
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 02:42 AM

DL385 G1 is an AMD Opteron based server, not Intel based server. If you have Opteron 250 CPU, then the AMD-V support is not available. You need to get to the next generation AMD CPU in order to use the hardware based Virtualization support.

Taiji Saotome Members

Taiji Saotome
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 02:43 AM

DL380 is an Intel CPU based server, where as DL385 is an AMD CPU based systems.

Jitendra Pawar Members

Jitendra Pawar
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 10:46 AM

Hi,
I am having same issue here. I am using HP ProLiant ML370G4 machine with Intel Xeon CPU 3.00GHz. There's one option in BIOS-Advance options-Virtualization and its ENABLED. But Still facing the same issue "HVM is required for this operation".
Does any one have any idea how to get rid of this?

Thanks

Sreejayan K Members

Sreejayan K
  • 20 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 11:33 AM

Even i have the same issue. Im using a desktop PC with Intel Core 2 Duo CPU. I have the virtulization enabled in BIOS and could get esx installed and was able to create VM's.
But creating VM on Xen server is not working though Xenserver installation was successfull. When i try to start the VM it throws this HVM error mesage..

It would be great help if some one can help

James Cannon Members

James Cannon
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 08:47 PM

Hi Sreejayan K,

Please ensure the virtualization feature for CPU is enabled in BIOS. Sometimes a "Save setting" is forgotten? With Windows, paravirtualization is via device drivers (network and storage) and requires the Intel VT or AMD V. If we could check settings and try again, perhaps a cold boot and verify BIOS, that may do the trick.

Regards,
+James Cannon+

Sreejayan K Members

Sreejayan K
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 06:51 AM

Im pretty sure that VT is enabled in BIOS and i rechecked it many times. I had similar problem when i was setting up ESX on the same box , then i enabled the VT and could create VM's. I'm wondering if a BIOS upgrade would be of any help!!

Nishant Patil Members

Nishant Patil
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 03:38 AM

Hi,

Here is my scenario....

I have installed VMWare workstation-7 on my laptop.

Installed XenServer 5.x under VMware and runs smoothly.
Config:
1GB RAM
20GB HDD

Installed a XP under VMware for Xencenter.

I have added my XenServer in XenCenter and communication between two is fine.

Now,

When I try to add a New VM under Xenserver, i get an error "HVM is required for this operation"
I just need to install one New VM for test.
I am just setting this up to learn and understand XenServer.

I have also enabled VT in my laptop BIOS.

Is there anything am I missing, or is it absolutely bad idea to use a laptop for such setup.
If this is ok, how the get rid of this the error.
My laptop hold only 2GB RAM. (Lenovo T400)

Edited by: Nishant Patil on Feb 10, 2011 10:41 PM

Marc O'Neill Members

Marc O'Neill
  • 106 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 09:38 AM

Hi Nishant,

If you install Xenserver in a virtualised environment (Vmware or even another xenserver) you will only be able to run VM's that have xenified kernels and not HVM guests as these need hardware access.

/Marc

Nishant Patil Members

Nishant Patil
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 03:39 AM

Hi Marc,

I appreciate your help.

I am new to virtualization environment itself as well as to Xenserver.

How do i get these VM's that have xenified kernels. (Win2003).

Kirk Kosinski Citrix Employees

Kirk Kosinski
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 08:51 AM

Without VT, XenServer cannot run HVM mode guests, such as any Windows OS. You can only run PV mode guests, which basically means only Linux guests. So if you want to run XenServer as a VM in VMware Workstation, you can only run Linux VMs on those XenServer VMs.

___
{color:#555555}Kirk Kosinski{color} !http://www.kirkkosinski.com/li.png!
{color:#999999}MCITP: EA / VA / EDA7, VCP 4, CCA{color}

Nishant Patil Members

Nishant Patil
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 09:34 AM

So is there anyway to run WinServer in XenServer as VM. I am currently not looking forward to run Linux VMs.

How about, I install a WinServer in VMWare Workstation... then convert it to Xen using Xen Converter and then try to fit under XenServer ( May sound funny ;-) ... but plz correct me if am wrong and possibilities of making this happen)

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Nishant Patil

Kirk Kosinski Citrix Employees

Kirk Kosinski
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 12:58 AM

You cannot run HVM mode VMs without VT. You could use XenConvert to import a Windows VM, but it won't be able to run without VT. Why do you need to run nested Windows VMs anyway? Just run Windows as VMs in Workstation, and create some nested Linux VMs to practice on. With the Demo Linux VM template, you can have Linux VMs up and running in a minutes even if you're not familiar with Linux.

___
{color:#555555}Kirk Kosinski{color} !http://www.kirkkosinski.com/li.png!
{color:#999999}MCITP: EA / VA / EDA7, VCP 4, CCA{color}

Peter Schraml Members

Peter Schraml
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 11:25 AM

Hi i've that same problem runninga xen server as guest on a vmware workstation7
But found a solution

xe vm-list (retrieve the UUID of the vm)
xe vm-param-set uuid=<vm uuid> HVM-boot-policy=”” (clear the HVM boot mode)